• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Building a simple Alternator whine / ignition filter

If it is coming in the power cord, grounding and bonding will not stop it.

Jeff

Exactly. That's kind of like saying if you don't like the noise the neighbor's party makes in the middle of the night then where earplugs. Sometimes you just have to cure the source of the noise and not just band aid it. Bonding and grounding works in some cases however in most cases it can be a LOT harder to do it properly than to simply install a single capacitor. I had fuel pump noise in a car at one time. Yeah it was a Ford. I bonded the doors. I bonded the hood. I bonded the trunk. Nothing cured the problem. I then pulled the back seat to get at the fuel pump wires and soldered a 0.01 uF capacitor across the leads and the problem went away.I should have spent that half hour days before.

hi everyone. i'm from the philippines, I came across this thread while desperately looking for a solution to cure the alternator whine of my portable lcd tv (chinese made). i use a fm transmitter to hook-up the sound to my car's stock audio system. the lcd tv is producing the annoying alternator whine (thru the cigar lighter socket). i even tried connecting the tv direct to battery but the whine is still there.

moleculo's post solved the problem, only, since i'm a cheapskate and a quick link costs more than 10USD here, so I just used tie wire rolled like a rope as inductor core, and a 4700 uF 25V capacitor (can't find a 35V) and it worked like a charm. that's why I signed up just to say THANKS! :)

here are the materials i used:

5 meters of tie wire .30$
4700 uF 25V cap .60$
6m gauge 14 wire 3$
project box .30$
electrical tape
super glue

total: less than 5$ :D

Cost of filter.......$5
Cost of running over someone crossing the street because you are watching TV while driving...........priceless

Browning noise filter

Just got this to take Care of electrical noise in my mobile(y)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 643
The original poster apparently hasn't been to Radio Shucks in quite a while. One 20 foot roll of 14 guage red hookup wire is ten bucks. You can buy a whole 500 foot roll of 14 guage stranded wire from Lowes for a little more than two small rolls from The Shack and build a whole lot more for less. On the other hand, you can't beat their price on project boxes.

The original poster apparently hasn't been to Radio Shucks in quite a while. One 20 foot roll of 14 guage red hookup wire is ten bucks. You can buy a whole 500 foot roll of 14 guage stranded wire from Lowes for a little more than two small rolls from The Shack and build a whole lot more for less. On the other hand, you can't beat their price on project boxes.

Take another look at the original post date. It was made in 2008. You cannot hardly expect prices to stay the same or for posters to constantly update all their posts to reflect changes in prices can you?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated