1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Building a simple Alternator whine / ignition filter

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by Moleculo, Dec 18, 2008.

1. 222DBFL

222DBFL Sr. Member

Thanks soulcode I will be trying this ASAP as my magnum 257hp has this issue. Not on tx as far as I know but rx is a killer. I hope this works. I know a lot of noise gets picked up by the antenna and I have all my equipment properly grounded, but I can't get passed the alternator whine!!! If this works like shown then it's a god sent!! What a mess trying to hear people over the engine whine especially when I am at higher rpm's. Thanks for the link and god bless.

2. KBX4974

KBX4974 Member

I realize this is an old thread, but I would think a single chain link of similar size would work the same, and not as costly as a shackle. Might take longer to wind without the opening to wind thru.

222DBFL likes this.
  3. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, that will work fine too. I've done this simple project with a few different things that I had laying around the garage.

4. jbsgarage

jbsgarage New Member

I would like to build this for my vehicle but cannot open the images to visually see the steps. Any suggestions as to what possible settings on my computer may be keeping me from seeing images. Thanks JBS

5. 222DBFL

222DBFL Sr. Member

Post #60 has a link to the images I believe.

6. jbsgarage

jbsgarage New Member

I cant open that link either. Ill keep trying the search thanks

7. ElecEngineer

ElecEngineer New Member

http://www.sanantoniohams.org/tips/whine.htm also has the pics and write up.

A quick question on routing all ac to ground, isn't that going to cause noise (audible or otherwise) in other equipment?

Tallman likes this.
  8. sv1rxi

sv1rxi Member

At the past i buy the 857d and a new yaesu atas 120.I install them to my car ford focus (petrol) .Τhe more I pressed the throttle the noise grows. I only try good ground to the antenna mount and to the radio , nothing of this helps.I try to find where the noise is coming , i take my kenwood f7 mode ssb and i take it close to my engine , once I approach the gasoline injectors there the noise is coming from injectors.Then i try also other things . I removed the antenna cable form the back of my radio ,no noise at all .I removed the atas form the antenna base mount ,still have the noise and i try also to give power from another battery from my other car (toyota) and having the antenna mount to ford ,still having the noise.Τhat made me lose my patience, and so I sold it.From your experience if i done this the noise had go away?

9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Sr. Member

I've always found these to be a cheap effective solution. No need to improvise or fabricate anything since it bolts directly to the alternator.
    Screenshot_20180224-000950.png

10. sv1rxi

sv1rxi Member

I try to see if my alternator have one and replace it ,but i think not have.Sometime when i have a qso at 40 metres band another ham told me that he try and work the kenwood PG-3B ,but as i see now is only 20amp so i don't think for 857d or 891 for 100 watts mobile is suitable.Kenwood have one for 25amp or 30 i think but is discontinued.That products from US have have expensive shipping cost and are for US cars not European models
    I remember now the noise when i switch on my engine ,the noise coming from gasoline injectors and was specific tik-tik-tik and when i press the throttle the noise is growing and the tik-tik it was dense in time.Once i found at the web one other amateur with the same car and i send him email how and if manage to do something for this ,never take answear.Maybe i give atry once more to install hf to my car but i have to be sure, i lost money when i sell the 857d
    if you watch the video my noise is similar like the noise from the injectors

#70 sv1rxi, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    rabbiporkchop likes this.
  11. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

i used to smoke hash lol

12. sv1rxi

sv1rxi Member

i don't underastand ,you have something to say to me for my post sir

13. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

haha no it was a joke.