• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

built a new 80-10, 70-30 off center fed dipole.

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
blue line is no calibration for the vna. sees all from end to end
green line is a calibration that sees only the balun and the antenna.

not concerned for 15m all that much. 80-20 split caused too much rfi here at the house.

Attachments

• Screenshot (35).png
    Screenshot (35).png
    198.8 KB · Views: 48

I once used a Carolina Windom which is an OCFD that I had up at 45ft as an inverted V. It works on many HF bands without a tuner needed but RFI sometimes was an an issue due to un-equal voltages across the the antenna wires from having un-equal wire lengths.

I used a 4:1 Balun at the top and a choke Balun at the bottom of the coax vertical radiator and still had some RFI issues.

I since went with a ZS6BKW which is a G5RV variant and haven't had any RFI issues since.

The ZS6BKW works well on most HF bands but it doesn't match well on 60,30, and 15 meters. A tuner will let you works those bands though.

Good luck with your OCFD!

trashed that one. tried a 60/40. didnt care for that too much. i decided to go back to the 70/30 split. to gain 15meters i went up on 20 meters and i have not been a big 15m fan for the most part. however i can use a tuner if i really want to.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.