• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BurningHAM 2014 Dates

Made up an antenna bracket for the 'Westy' today ... will have to see if it works out, both electrically and physically :confused:

Ant1.JPG

Little Tarheel-II HF screwdriver, mounted 17" away from a Diamond SG-7500 (Super Gainer) dual-bander on a piece of Unistrut - plan to mount it to the front cross-rail in between the solar panels.

Ant2.JPG

Film at 11 ...

I hope so, Anthony ... will give it the smoke test soon :confused:

I checked out the empty auxiliary battery tray and battery transfer module under the rear seat today (Saturday). Tidied up the electrical connections, tested the operation, then made a hold-down bracket and installed the Odyssey battery. Also installed the 1500-watt power inverter I've had laying around here for years.

Inverter.JPG

The battery transfer module automatically switches between the main and auxiliary batteries while driving. I will add another manual switch to charge the auxiliary battery from the solar panels when in the stationary mode.

I found the errant separation kit for my IC-7000, so I started looking for a location to mount the radio. Found a neat little cubby-hole behind the driver's seat. Cleaned some debris out of it, carpeted it and installed the main body in there. Will remote mount the display/control head to an appropriate location somewhere on the dash :unsure:

Ham1.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Had to move the panels further out to accommodate the antenna bracket, so I removed them and made up the parallel wiring harness to size.

s3.JPG

Reinstalled the panels in their new position ... and the antenna bracket.

s2.JPG

Next, gotta do all the cable runs (and eventually, a bath) :laugh:

Checked out the fridge on 'shore power' yesterday too ... it works great (y)

Almost ready to go :w00t:

Westy.JPG

Still on the hunt for some 16" Mercedes CLK 320 alloys and some taller, more aggressive tires

:pop:

Not ready for a lift kit yet, but 16" wheels with 195 ~215/75-16 tires will lift it pretty good.

This is what it will eventually look like:

685111.jpg

Almost ready to go :w00t:

View attachment 12480

Still on the hunt for some 16" Mercedes CLK 320 alloys and some taller, more aggressive tires

:pop:

BFG LONG TRAIL AT

I get 60k per set in my nissan Frontier
not sure if they make a size thatll work on your project...
but if they do.. they are simply the best
<More audio>

BIG B

Took delivery of a Jetstream JT7505B 2M/440 (black) mobile antenna that matches the Lil Tarheel. The Jetstream looks exactly like and has the exact same specs as my Diamond SG7500A, but the Jetstream was only half the price! I'd bet they're both made at the same factory :sneaky2:

All the electronic/electrical stuff is done except for the final hook up of a set of fog lights and a third brake light (LED strip). Final clean up and re-installation of freshly cleaned seats, bed pads and curtains is next.

Then I need to gather up and pack up the balloon stuff, other toys and all the camping supplies needed for the trip (y)

OK, change in plans with the Westy. I had a spare 12-volt 255Ah AGM battery stashed away under my work bench, that was destined for my trailer. It just so happened that there was just enough room for it under the passenger side of the rear bench seat ... so, that's where it is now, along with the relocated inverter.

Batt.JPG

Had to change out most of the wiring that I had previously installed to the Odyssey Extreme Racing 40 Battery :headbang ... but it was worth the time and effort.

Batt2.JPG

The Odyssey was OK, but it's only a 45Ah battery - and will go in my 914 shortly (y)

Here are some quick photos of the solar project on my pop-up trailer.

image.jpeg
This is the solar controller and AC input A/B switch (switch between shower power and solar array power. Solar/inverter is wired into this switch, and both are wired directly into the panel. The result is either way, the outlets inside the trailer are powered.
image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg
This is the inverter kill switch, so that the solar battery doesn't lose charge while in storage. Also, because the inverter is under the couch cushion, I needed a method of turning off the inverter. This serves that purpose.
image_3.jpeg

Well, looks like my Mercedes CLK wheel deal has gone sour, so I took off the cheezy hub caps (that were on the vanagon when I purchased it), scrubbed the stock 14" steelies real good and painted them.

paintedsteelie.jpg

I was going to leave the hub caps off, but the Mrs said she liked the hubcaps. Problems were as follows:
1. I was missing one of them
2. They were 4-lug caps (on 5-lug wheels) looked kind of funky
3. The previous owner pounded the caps on and the front bearing grease caps and rear spindles cracked the centers

... so I bought a new set of 5-lug caps at Pep Boys. I drilled out the centers on the fronts with a hole saw so the grease caps wouldn't crack the centers. The rears are OK, but I might drill those as well, just to keep things symmetrical :confused:

hubcap1.jpg

It'll have to do until I get my dream wheels. I guess they don't look too bad ... good enough for BURNING HAM III :love:

hubcap2.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.