• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Buying from ebay overseas?

codeman

Recovering Crackerhead
Jul 10, 2011
I am wondering what problems could I run into from buying a radio from the UK and having it shipped here. I really like the looks of the President Grant II, but they are not sold here in the states. Or maybe somone can point me to where I can get one here in the good ole U.S. Thanks---

I suppose you could have the radio stuck in customs since it is being imported into the US. The best thing to so would be to ask the seller. Sellers who routinely sell overseas usually know what they doing and can answer any questions. Aside from that just check their feedback and Google search the seller if you can for any other issues.

Customs is the only thing any different than if you bought something from across town. It might sit there for a while until it is cleared or it might zip right thru. I have bought stuff from the USA and shipped it to Canada and some shipments that were sent via USPS Priority were here in a few days. I have ordered lots of stuff that were shipped from Hong Kong or China proper and it took about two or three weeks at the most and arrived unopened and simply had a "Cleared Customs" sticker on it.

The radio does look nice. Other than looks, it isn't anything special and certainly not worth the expense of getting one from across the pond.

I am wondering what problems could I run into from buying a radio from the UK and having it shipped here. I really like the looks of the President Grant II, but they are not sold here in the states. Or maybe somone can point me to where I can get one here in the good ole U.S. Thanks---
I've looked into the grant II and lincoln II. Both of which I found places selling them for over $300. I just used google

I own a President Grant II and can offer some insight into the radio. The receive is kinda noisy...more than the Optima, Lincoln II, and other 10m rigs I have. I have to run the hi-cut filter all the time just to quiet the radio down.
Also, you can only tune in 5 kHz steps, so if you want to operate on frequencies other than 2x.xx0 or 2x.xx5, you are SOL. The (locked) clarifier only moves about 1 kHz so you won't be able to listen to stations that are operating in between the '0' or '5'.
The FM is very good on this radio. I presume it is a true NBFM since it can operate on the euro NBFM frequencies in one of it's "multi-norm" configurations. Sounds good when listening to the 10m repeaters or 10m FM simplex.
Good looking radio, and has good transmit audio with the stock mic.
I managed to get mine from a US seller on eBay a few months back. I would not recommend it if you have to pay $300. Decent radio, but your money may be better spent on something else.

Reactions: 309hellinois
Thanks for the advice. Yeah $300 plus shipping is a lot for that radio. But it does seem like a solid little radio. I really like my Uniden 980 and that Grant 2 is what I wish my 980 was. Maybe I'll look at getting a RCI 2950 if I can find one.

Get an optima mk3, you won't be disappointed! JMO. God bless.

I am not crazy about the looks of the Optima but on paper it sounds great. I have read about some problems with the display going out and not very good audio. Maybe those are the older version? Had any problems with yours? What kind of audio reports are you recieving on SSB and AM? Thanks

I have had mine for over a year now and use it daily to talk dx all over the world, I use an icom HM-36 mic with the radio and get excellent audio reports on both SSB and AM, while not the powerhouse on AM, it does work well, but on SSB is where it shines at. 50-60 watts, great audio even with the stock mic which is small but works, I added the hm-36 icom mic after reading about this radio for quite some time, I was skeptical at first but it is the best Bang for the buck and is a rock solid radio. JMO, God Bless.

And just to clarify Codeman, I have the optima mk3, and an original made in Japan icom hm-36 mic, most mics on eBay are knock offs or China made these days, I went off of soneone else's good experience with one and haven't looked back! For the money it is a hands down best bang for the buck. But everyone has there own opinion about radios so it is really up to you in the end. I bought several radios before settling in with an optima mk3 mobile and an icom 746 for a base station. Anyway hope this helps and have a good one.

I have a Yeticom Optima Mk3 that I got off eBay from coldfront sales in Ohio for $270 shipped. 12m through 10m out of the box. The stock mic sounds good, and I tried several Icom mics and most sounded good, but my Astatic 575 sounds the best.
Good receive...quieter than the Magnum 257 radio.
SSB audio is excellent. AM audio is good, but if you are an AM only op, you would probably want a different radio.
FM audio is good , but still seems a bit light on the deviation, even though the Mk3 is supposed to have increased FM deviation. Still good enough for 10m FM operation.

Well you guys have me thinking real hard about getting the Yeticom. I like talking am as well as ssb, but the radio I will get will be mainly ssb. I would probably try my RF Limited 2018 mic on it after getting a 4pin to 8pin adapter. All I really need is a radio wth 11 meter and uppers and lowers, but it would be nice to "see" what I can hear beyond that. I really enjoy my Magnum S45 but it is being fixed and I really hate having to unhook it out of the semi then into my pickup then to the house. I like the 50 watts it puts out, that should be plenty of power, as I am making some good contacts with my Uniden 980 with only about 15 watts on ssb. I just wish it had more coverage.

I will probably wait until January or Febuary before I make a purchase with Christmas coming up and 2-3 visits to the dentist (OOOuchh!) coming up within the next month or so.

Yall have a good turkey day out there and hope to hear you on the radio. -353 somewhere in or around Texas

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated