1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Bypassing driver in Texas Star DX667V?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by buickid, Jul 27, 2020.

1. buickid

buickid Active Member

I inherited a 667V from a friend who passed away. Used to have a 500V and it worked great with a 2950DX I also wish I didn't sell. Most of the radios I have are way too much for the 667 (Magnum 257, Magnum S45HP, 2970DX), but would be about right with a straight 4 pill. I have a Grant XL that needs some work that would maybe pair alright with the 667? But I'd rather run one of the Magnums.

Is it feasible to bypass the 2290 driver in the 667, or am I better off leaving it alone and running it with the Grant XL, and running the DX1600 with those radios?

2. snow bird

snow bird Well-Known Member

Use the 667 with the older radios and use the sweet 16 with the larger ones .Don,t over drive them. Have Fun

buickid likes this.
  3. Ranch55

Ranch55 Sr. Member

Yes, it is feasible to bypass the driver in a 667. Fairly easy to do if you have the knowledge to do so. It would need to be retuned after disconnecting / removing the driver circuitry.
    A 667 is actually a 500 with a driver added to it.

buickid likes this.
  4. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Sr. Member

Of the radio's you listed the S45HP and the 2970 would NOT be a good match for a Texas Star 500. An old school 667v with the Toshiba finals is kinda rare these days, you might want to leave it be and just use your Grant xl.

barefootindian and buickid like this.
  5. buickid

buickid Active Member

Point taken. Would a Galaxy 959/979 with the variable power turned down work okay with a 667, or still too much?

Robalo likes this.
  6. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Sr. Member

Yes they would be fine as long as they have not had any exotic power mods done. On AM something like a 1 - 1.75 watt dead key works well with a 667. For SSB use you could run 10-16 watts PEP and do just fine.

7. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Good numbers above.
    I 2nd the post

Jeff

barefootindian and buickid like this.
  8. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

The only repair we'll do to a 667V is to make it a 500V, especially now that they use a pair of IRF520 as the driver stage.

If they insist on having that internal driver I'll offer to start a betting pool to name the date it blows up.

9. buickid

buickid Active Member

Thanks guys, I guess I know what I'll do! Now to find radios to run the DX350 and "Mod V" haha.