• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Caboverbob microphone adventure

SS it keyed the Connex, but I didn't speak into it at all, that's what I meant. I'll cruise by the local shop, he has one of those mic testers.

Cool little mike.

To bring you up to speed...

The "Ceramic" in Ceramic microphone - simply identifies the microphone as having a Piezo-Electric element
upload_2021-8-19_21-42-25.png

- the construction is similar to Dynamic but uses the properties of piezoelectricity - it is more like a Crystal
- a salt - Like Barium Titanate - generates electricity when it encounters pressure - generates it's own power.​

The Mic itself is pretty basic, as you already know, not much to it, just a holder with a diaphragm that presses against the salt crystal inside - so as you speak, the membrane vibrates, and makes the salt "shake" with the sound. Generates a signal and out the wire into your radio it goes.

But I wanted to advise you...

This Microphones wiring scheme - has the Element LIVE all the time.

So unless you put the Limiter in the Galaxy/RCI or CB Radio - this element will send signal all the time thru the cord into the radio - this can generate a squeal.

Unless the Limiters in, where the Limiter "kills" the Mic line all the time it's in RX mode - if that limiters been removed the microphone is sensitive enough to pick up the radios' speaker noise and SQUE-E-E-A-L we go.

upload_2021-8-19_21-48-3.png
See that white wire?
That's from the Element - directly to the Mic Plug.

Either rewire or put in a different switch or set up the radio so the Limiter can help you use this mic.

Cool little mike.

To bring you up to speed...

The "Ceramic" in Ceramic microphone - simply identifies the microphone as having a Piezo-Electric element
See that white wire?
That's from the Element - directly to the Mic Plug.

Either rewire or put in a different switch or set up the radio so the Limiter can help you use this mic.

Thank you sir, I guess I'll find someone to rewire it.........

Reactions: secret squirrel
Hey SS, it is a Skyline L-604. I can't find a single thing about it online, but it's cool as shit and that's why I want to run it. I did hook it up to my Connex 3300hp-zx and it keyed the radio, but I didn't modulate it.
Unless you’re applying that mic to an early tube radio that’s designed for a high impedance crystal or ceramic mic, the output of that mic will be very low if any. I have several early Palomar and Collins mics that utilized that same case. I swapped out the ceramic cartridge with a low impedance dynamic for use on more modern equipment.

Small correction: Replace the word Palomar with Polytronics. I see I got my P’s mixed up when I picked one of those mics yesterday. Polytronic s CB’s were highly respected radios during their heyday, and still sought after by collectors.
There's a Polytronics radio on CL locally that has a mic in the same case.

Reactions: Slowmover
Update -

Scored a pair of 636's nib in a 2nd hand store in Van Horn, Tx. Going to try to transplant into this pair of vintage aluminum bodies.

Scored a vintage Astatic Trucker II mic, haven't tried it yet.Screenshot_20211219-081937_eBay.jpg

Still looking for an SL-41.......

And then this one popped up in one of my saved searches, hoping someone has some advice.....Screenshot_20211227-131959_Mercari.jpg

Update -

Scored a pair of 636's nib in a 2nd hand store in Van Horn, Tx. Going to try to transplant into this pair of vintage aluminum bodies.

Scored a vintage Astatic Trucker II mic, haven't tried it yet.View attachment 49272

And then this one popped up in one of my saved searches, hoping someone has some advice.....View attachment 49273

Definitely buy the second one, it'll make you sound younger.

Update -

Scored a vintage Astatic Trucker II mic, haven't tried it yet.View attachment 49272

And then this one popped up in one of my saved searches, hoping someone has some advice.....View attachment 49273
I'm willing to bet that is a before my time mic (the one on the bottom). It should be labeled as vintage and not many were produced because of their exclusivity. High grade gear and none has been as effective since those were made.

That being said my vote goes for the Mattel brand microphone.

It just needs the very recognizable mustard yellow cloth behind it so that it's a superhawk special. HE'S BEEN A MATTEL DEALER FROM DAY ONE OK

Update -

There's nothing better than a vintage yellow and blue wireless microphone. Lol....lol....lol!

Reactions: Cabover Bob
screenshot_20211227-131959_mercari-jpg.49273

Glue a Uniden logo over the critter decal and sell it on SleezeBay as an all-weather marine-grade cordless mic...............Big $$$. And it floats!!!

Reactions: NZ8N and codeman
Find a used clean "Extreme 2018" microphone. This is one microphone I will never let go of in my radio stable. It is a well engineered product with a perfect frequency response of 200-3000hz. Yes it has noise toys built in for fun, but that is not why I prize it. It has a beautiful frequency response and you can dial in a very low level of echo that does not sound like echo but adds intellibility and depth to the users voice. They call it a "stadium effect" on this microphone but dial it in very low like both controls set on 1. Don't want the effect set them both to zero. Want to irritate someone dial em both up to 3. A used super clean one or NIB is worth about $65-$70. This is one of the best hand power microphones sold in recent years. It's discontinued, but there is used ones out there. This was a sleeper microphone meaning many did not know what a perfect communication microphone it was for the price. Everything about this microphone for communications is spot on. It also has a switch for electronic noise cancelling and it works perfect when needed to eliminate background noise. No knock offs that look the same under a different name, you have to find the real thing. Thought and engineering was put into this microphone and it's amazing by today's standards.

"If you get one never let it go"

Attachments

• image_search_1640660577334.jpg
    image_search_1640660577334.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20211227-211226_ImageSearchMan.jpg
    Screenshot_20211227-211226_ImageSearchMan.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated