• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Caboverbob microphone adventure

Cabover Bob

Nov 17, 2020
So just getting back into radio again, considering a few Fleabay mics :

Astatic 575

Astatic 611

Skyline L-604

General CM-2

I have an SRA-198 that I was using on my Andy for a minute too.

Radios that I will be playing with - Connex 3300hp-zx, SS121 and a new 980ssb

Opinions ?

Last edited:

Much of it depends per individuals voice characteristics, how loud or soft you talk and so on. It's taken years of owning several various types of mics to find the ones that fit me. I find in a base or quiet car the stock mics do well but mobile for in the big rig for instance the telex roadking 56 (not today's) or astatic 636 do really well for me.

I find that the sra-198 sounds good but like shadetree said in another thread, you have to almost eat it. Could just be my voice though.

The Palomar sl41 with the Bob mod sounds great for me too .

I've never owned one but for years I've heard the 575 is a great one but then again it may not work for me but I haven't had the chance to find out.

Your rig is a big contributor too as I've found not all radios like the same mic either. The president Richard I had didn't play well with the rk56 but did great with the RD104E. Trial and error my friend.

Do what many of us have done and collect them all (not literally but I wish) and eventually you'll have mated them to your rig collection

Much of it depends per individuals voice characteristics, how loud or soft you talk and so on. It's taken years of owning several various types of mics to find the ones that fit me. I find in a base or quiet car the stock mics do well but mobile for in the big rig for instance the telex roadking 56 (not today's) or astatic 636 do really well for me.

I find that the sra-198 sounds good but like shadetree said in another thread, you have to almost eat it. Could just be my voice though.

The Palomar sl41 with the Bob mod sounds great for me too .

I've never owned one but for years I've heard the 575 is a great one but then again it may not work for me but I haven't had the chance to find out.

Your rig is a big contributor too as I've found not all radios like the same mic either. The president Richard I had didn't play well with the rk56 but did great with the RD104E. Trial and error my friend.

Do what many of us have done and collect them all (not literally but I wish) and eventually you'll have mated them to your rig collection
I'm looking for the SL41 too, not having much luck. I do tend to like obscure things, that's what got me looking at the others that I listed but hadn't heard being discussed here.

Hey guys, I've got this vintage ceramic mic that I'd like to run on my rci 6300f150, but the manual for the radio says that the stock mic is dynamic. Can I run a ceramic mic on this radio ?

I simply do not know the difference.

Which vintage mic is it? Ceramic mic just refers to the mic element type. It still can be dynamic or amplified type. If I remember correctly the ceramic type mic elements were known for their clean authentic sound reproduction.

CB its says made in Japan and you do not have modulation. Quite possible its wired for the Cybernet/Midland pattern. The jack will look the same as the Cobra 4 pin, but its wired to a different pattern. If you have an old Midland, JcPenney, Kraco laying around then try it on them and see if it works. All you have to do then is just get someone to rewire for Cobra 4 pin. I always have to use a CB shop, because my soldering skills equal that of a second grader.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated