• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Calling all B&K 2040 Owners - Can you help?

dodgeyvanner

May 25, 2016
Hi all
Just purchased a B&K 2040 and note in the instruction it shows you need an "audio load" as circled below in the srtup shown in the manual.

Are these readily available units or can you make them, if you can make them anyone got any details on what is required?

Thanks

Mark
b&k.JPG

Its just an audio dummy load. Its just a resistor either 4 ohm or 8 ohm and rated at a certain power. The cheapest way to go if thats what you want is go to ebay and look up audio dummy load, you will see listings for a big green resistor rated for 100w at 4 ohms, or they have 8 ohms too. Cb external speaker i think is 8. They are super cheap

You will have to build that one for yourself. Be sure to use non-inductive resistors.

Notice it is an observation point looking for flat topping and other distortions.

Last edited:
Hi tallman and groundwire
Thankyou for the information, very much appreciated, could i call on your expertise a little further please.
If i were to put the resistor in a small project box, obviously i have s terminal either side of resistor, for the scope bnc connection would it just simply connect either side of resistor?
Thanks again
Mark

For the most part yes,. The voltage should be low enough as not to overload the scope. You could also inductively couple the conector to the resistor to get a lower signal level, but a direct connection should be fine.

Playing around and learning how to adjust RX on 23 channel CB Cobra 21, you'll need to make sure you have a steady needle on the multimeter. To do that you'll need the RF level and the volume of the radio. I don't have 8 ohms dummy load, if someone knows the schematic with some BNC connector please share it so I can make my own box to connect it with my OSC. 73's QRZ Robalo

Reactions: kaos513

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.