• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can a Serial to USB adapter be used on Kenwood?

I have the same situation with my laptop and TM-710. I'm using the RT Systems software and the USB to serial adapter they sell.

Works FB.

A USB/serial port converter will certainly work just fine with the Kenwood cable and program software. The RT System and software also works with the Kenwood radios, but not the Kenwood software. The two are not interchangeable. So, takes your pick and get the one you want. Each has their 'strong' points and 'weaknesses'. RT Systems does the memory channel stuff just fine (like the Kenwood program). The Kenwood program also does the menu programming too.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Just because i had one, I tried a Prolific USB/serial adaptor with the MCP-2A program. It works. The other one I have uses an FTDI chip set. Both work. I think those are the two most common variety.
Be careful with the USB/USB type converters, sometimes they don't know which was to convert...
- 'Doc

if you get the ftdi chipset usb to rs232 serial converter then any old windows software will work fine as that chipset has virtual com port drivers as an option that make the adapter appear as an extra com port. I have a programmer with that chipset on board and I use a rs232 only terminal program with it (putty) and it works just fine.

Glad this was posted because I was wondering the same thing. None of my computers, especially my MAC's have serial ports on them. LOL

A USB/serial port converter will certainly work just fine with the Kenwood cable and program software. The RT System and software also works with the Kenwood radios, but not the Kenwood software. The two are not interchangeable. So, takes your pick and get the one you want. Each has their 'strong' points and 'weaknesses'. RT Systems does the memory channel stuff just fine (like the Kenwood program). The Kenwood program also does the menu programming too.
- 'Doc

The RT System programing software/cable combination appears to be the more economical solution at $49. The Kenwood programming cable from Gigiparts is $41. Then I still need to get an adapter that I KNOW will work: add another $29 plus or minus.

Two concerns:

1) What are the "weaknesses" of the RT Systems programming software compared to the Kenwood software that you mentioned?

2) It appears that the Echolink cable cannot be purchased separately through normal channels. As a Kenwood item, it is sold only in combination with the programming cable. Is the Echolink cable available separately anywhere? Here is one from Ebay. But it appears to be a splice job.

Ooops, and I see from this on the above Ebay site...

APPLICATION NOTES:

1. TWO (2) cables - (this cable, and a PG-5G Serial Communication Cable) - are needed for Echolink Node Station operation.
2. This cable alone (sold here individually) is for users who already have a PG-5G Serial Communication Cable.
3. If you do not already have a PG-5G Serial Communication Cable, purchase the two-cable set (Set # PG-5H) and $ave!

...that the programming cable is ALSO required to make the Echolink work. I don't know if the RT Systems cable is compatible. The RT site warns about incompatibility of their USB cable with the Kenwood programming software. I wonder if it has incompatibilities with the Echolink since Echolink requires both the programming and Echolink cables to be connected.

I am thinking that as a novice I would be better off getting "all Kenwood" accessories so that when I need help from Kenwood I won't suffer through the finger pointing at third party stuff.

I ran into a real knowledgable guy at GigaParts. I suspect if I purchased all equipment through them, they would be able to assist where needed also.

Last edited:
The guy at Giga Parts should be able to tell you about the required cabling, etc. I don't do the Echolink thing, there's a node already here locally. So, I wouldn't be any help with that.
It's a personal preference thing about the software. I tend to use the Kenwood program more than the RT System program. The Kenwood program is free anyway, and does more than the RT System program does. The RT System stuff does work well, I just don't find it AS useful.
- 'Doc

FWIW, in marine (and Range Rover diagnostic) applications that are a bit fussy, I've had great results with the single Keyspan units by Tripplite (USA-19HS). They have a 4-port unit (USA-49HS) that I've just ordered for the Rover and plan to use with the dualband FM radio, Nav PC, and GPS. Which leaves one serial port open. Which could lead to $trouble.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.