• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can an SWR analyzer be used for Impedance tuning a SS amp Input-Output network?

Naysayer

Mar 6, 2020
New York
I'm ready to install four MRF422's in an amp project I'm working on.
The bias voltage is set and switched by the T-R relay (manual no COR).
Installing the transistors is a point of no return and this is my first time doing this.
As for Transformer capacitors I'm guessing based on diagrams I've found online.

Can I further tune the Input/Output T's without a VNA before I install transistors?
I do have an MFJ antenna analyzer (old model) and I've seen vids using resistors to tune Inp/Outp networks but they used VNA's.

As is now, I put 390pF on the output side of each Input Transformer and 1000pF on input side of Output Transformers. Have ceramic trimmers on Output Trans and plenty of fixed Micas to add or subtract as needed.

If I buy any more test equipment, my wife is gonna kill me.
neil

The analyzer's drive level is a good bit lower than your radio's drive level. So long as you have set the zero-signal bias current, the analyzer's tiny signal should 'see' the same impedance as the radio's transmitter will be driving into.

The amplifier's input impedance will also be affected by the drive-power level. Biggest mismatch will occur when the drive level is at or over the 'clean' limit where distortion begins to kick in.

Just beware that an unstable amplifier can backfeed RF wattage into an analyzer and blow it out.

Been there, done that. Was a bad day.

The analyzer's drive level is a good bit lower than your radio's drive level. So long as you have set the zero-signal bias current, the analyzer's tiny signal should 'see' the same impedance as the radio's transmitter will be driving into.

The amplifier's input impedance will also be affected by the drive-power level. Biggest mismatch will occur when the drive level is at or over the 'clean' limit where distortion begins to kick in.

Just beware that an unstable amplifier can backfeed RF wattage into an analyzer and blow it out.

Been there, done that. Was a bad day.

Thank you a good bit to consider.

So better to use an old radio with separate SWR bridge. More appropriate power level with less risk of damage to equip. Thank you it took awhile to sink in

I deleted a post with a pic for re-write.
MRF422 project is proceeding.
My Bias Meter is behaving itself a little better after I placed a multi-hole barrel choke near the meter itself. I was surprised as I already had a ceramic across meter terminals. I'm seeing about a 200w AM carrier into DL and whatever on SSB. I have not yet tried to adjust the mica dipped caps inside the Input-Output Transformers. Presently, I have 390pF on Base side and 1120pF Collector side of each pair.

I think I'm seeing less current draw from my PS than 4 2879's, uncertain of that may be my own wishful thinking as it was a reason that I moved to 28v.
neil

Attachments

• Amp pic 2.JPG
    Amp pic 2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 70

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated