• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can anyone help me identify this RFI?

I finally got my hands on a handheld CB.

At first I couldn't hear the noise in my driveway on the handheld even when I could hear it on my base radio and got discouraged thinking the noise was too far away to hear it with the rubber ducky antenna on the handheld.

I fired up the base this morning, noise was loudest on channel 27 at the time. I walked down the driveway and started walking up and down the street and I think I've located the house it is coming from.

Now to approach those folks and get permission to roam around the outside of their house like a weirdo looking for aliens with my walkie talkie. I wish I knew what could be making the noise so I could ask "hey you don't happen to have a X model Z plugged in do you?"

I obviously can't open with "you aren't running a grow op are you?" plus I'm not even sure this noise is remotely similar to anything associated with that.

Ask what type of router they use. Some of them give off bad RFI. Also can check the cable coax connections as cable tv will affect the CB band. Lights, security systems, solar panels, just about anything that uses electricity can be a potential issue. First get permission to at least walk around and go from there. Explain you have a radio system setup and there is some noise that appears to be coming from your house. Be nice as possible!! If they are cool then good deal, if not get the cable company involved. Call and tell them you have found a bad coax or have an issue and they will usually send a tech out that has RF sniffing equipment. There are also other ways but try to get permission first.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.