• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can anyone think of why sticking the below amplifier between the below transmitter and its antenna would not work ?

I have 325 yards from transmitter (MURS MAPS) to receiver (M538-handheld). Tall grass, dirt mounds, etc, may be what is giving it trouble. I just bought this antenna which hopefully will help on the transmitting end. I have been having a bucket-load of unreliable-communication issues up to this point.
The amp will be powered by a huge 12v power-supply, not by the batteries in the MURS MAP.
Try the new antenna before spending money on an amplifier. 325 yards should be easy for that transmitter, even with the stock antenna. Mine, which is a mile down the road, is actually about 820yd away via straight path, but that path is heavily wooded and it still works good in the house. I use a baofeng for the receiver though. I am surprised that 325yd is giving you an issue. Is your receiver in a building with metal siding???

Reactions: radiolearner
Try the new antenna before spending money on an amplifier. 325 yards should be easy for that transmitter, even with the stock antenna. Mine, which is a mile down the road, is actually about 820yd away via straight path, but that path is heavily wooded and it still works good in the house. I use a baofeng for the receiver though. I am surprised that 325yd is giving you an issue. Is your receiver in a building with metal siding???
My receiver (M538 handheld) was on one of three places (tried all three ways): (1) 11.5feet off the ground on a metal broomstick on the top of my vehicle (2) connected to the roof-rack of my vehicle with zip-ties (3) antenna port connected via wire to a huge aluminum ladder on the roof of my vehicle. While (3) seemed to help in one location (GPS-location), it made no difference in another location, both of which were about 325yards away.
I am not sure but I think the ~20ft height dirt mounds and high grass (6ft) and general non-straight shape of terrain are giving it problems.
The stock transmitter was one of two ways with both ways tried (1) sitting on a wooden box about 4ft off the ground (2) sitting on the ground. I can say with a bit of certainty that the method (1) worked better (but did not work consistently/reliably.)

Last edited:
If you extrapolate output from the ratings in the ad, 2 watts in 20 watts out, 6 watts in 40 watts out.
Your not going to get much gain at 1 watt input, and that's if the amp can see enough carrier to engage the relay.
I would keep looking for a vhf amp that takes 1-5 watts input made for two meters.
I have seen used Mirage amps and similar sell for 50-60 bucks.
I picked up a used TPL amp for $40 that would cover those frequencies and use it on 2 meters off of craigslist.

Jeff
Would this amp work : (unfortunately, he does not accept returns if it does not).

Would this amp work : (unfortunately, he does not accept returns if it does not).
If you extrapolate output from the ratings in the ad, 2 watts in 20 watts out, 6 watts in 40 watts out.
Your not going to get much gain at 1 watt input, and that's if the amp can see enough carrier to engage the relay.
I would keep looking for a vhf amp that takes 1-5 watts input made for two meters.
I have seen used Mirage amps and similar sell for 50-60 bucks.
I picked up a used TPL amp for $40 that would cover those frequencies and use it on 2 meters off of craigslist.

Jeff
Would this $40-amp work:

Yes that amp would work, but that is expensive.

If you have ordered that antenna, wait and see how it works.
You may be surprised at the improvement of that alone.

Jeff
How about this one -- $40bucks.

Yes it's basically the same amp, if the bidding don't go too high.
Expect 10 or 12 watts output with it.

Jeff
The power-connector: The pdf manual shows -13.8v and +13.8v here (last link below): Does that mean I need a 24volt power supply ? (I want to assume you just connect ground to the black end and +12volts to the red end, but thought it wise to double-check.)
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/edijzp.jpg
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/xfoxtp.jpg
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/xfoxtp.jpg
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/297k8b.jpg
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/x3chs9.jpg
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/m8tqxu.jpg

Last edited:
Page 10 of the manual
View attachment 60616

Positive goes to pins 1 and 3
Negative goes to pins 2 and 4
Do NOT short 1 and 2 or 3 and 4.
Hook it up as per the diagram.
Did it not come with the connector?

Jeff
definitely will not short 1to2 or 3to4.
so, will short the other pairs externally; I thought might maybe the ebay connector would make it simpler but was not sure -- cant see inside that connector.
Amp has not arrived yet. the original ebay pictures went into god-knows-where ether. but i am trying to make sure i have all the connectors i need before it gets here to avoid any delays...

The first one shows a connector with it, what one did you buy?
The connector would be safer, with the connections enclosed instead of soldered direct to the back.
If it is the one with F connectors on RF in-out, you will also need adapters for your coax to PL 259 and what ever connector that radio has.
I don't know what you have now for coax.
Jeff

The first one shows a connector with it, what one did you buy?
The connector would be safer, with the connections enclosed instead of soldered direct to the back.
If it is the one with F connectors on RF in-out, you will also need adapters for your coax to PL 259 and what ever connector that radio has.
I don't know what you have now for coax.
Jeff
This is the one I bought. The pictures are gone as you can tell, just a tiny thumbnail left.
I think I have all the RF-in and RF_out connectors/cables and transmitter-connectors/cables and antenna-connectors/cables ordered that I will need.

Welp, tried the MURS-base antenna from Firestik.com today -- it alone did not cure the problem. So, now it's up to the TPL amplifier (which has not arrived yet).
The DakotaAlert has been a massive disappointment and frustration so far.....

edit/add: I am also gonna try a weirdo approach of attaching the radio/receiver to a 25ft audio cable and throwing the radio up to the top of one of the dirt mounds... The audio cable goes back to an audio amp with two speakers whose volume will be loud enough that I can hear it from within my vehicle at the farthest location I will ever be from the speakers... (if that is even possible). :O (presently the speakers are on top of my vehicle instead of on the ground.)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.