• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can I use this antenna?

Ant help

I looked at everything in this Post and need some help.

I have two Slinkys of Mettal and they are 3 inch Round.

If I made a Di Pole ant. and had these slinkys on eatch end and pulled them out would this work or if not why???

It might work. There are so many factors. What I've gathered is that an outside, straight, long, wire is ideal for shortwave reception.

But, lots of people use slinkys too. A slinky dipole might work great for some people, and poorly for others depending on location, size, lots of things.

I've found that many of these guys on here tell people to "go experiment", and I see why now; there are just too many factors to reliably predict your results over the web. But, there are people that use dipole slinkys for shortwave so yes it will likely work. How good I have no idea; nor will you unless you try different arrangements to compare. Also remember, shortwave reception is best at night. Check your reception after dark, or late into the night; in the daytime right now can yield nothing even with a great antenna.

I'd recommend first going to monoprice.com and ordering the 100ft 18AWG copper wire. Split the wire down the middle by simply pulling it apart (it's speaker wire so it's paired). You now have 200 ft of insulated wire to experiment with, for only $7.46
You're welcome to purchase from anywhere, I'm just citing the cheapest source I know and where I got my (now) 800 ft of wire. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then try the slinky... or, build your own; you'll have lots of copper wire to work with :)

Thanks but

If I do get two piceses of wire for my left and right sides of my Dy Pole ant do they sell anything that I can screw them onto and then screw that pice onto a Coaxle cable feed?

Thanks but

I am sorry you don't understand me.

If I have a Coaxle cable going into my Radio the other end of the Coaxle cable is going to connect to my Ant.

But this is what I want to know.

If I have my Right wire and left wire on eatch end of my Dypole ant. The left wire has to connect some how to the Center Pin of the Coaxle cable and the right wire has to connect to the Outside or shield of the cable.

I can just Salder it I know people do this every day.

But it is to hard for that.

Do they sel a device that has Two Termanles on it and I can just screw the left wire to the left screw and the right wire to the right scew.

And then this device can just screw onto the coaxle cable

If I have a Coaxle cable going into my Radio the other end of the Coaxle cable is going to connect to my Ant.

If I have my Right wire and left wire on eatch end of my Dypole ant. The left wire has to connect some how to the Center Pin of the Coaxle cable and the right wire has to connect to the Outside or shield of the cable.

Do they sel a device that has Two Termanles on it and I can just screw the left wire to the left screw and the right wire to the right scew.

1. Take a piece of scrap wood.
2. Drill two small holes through it, and get some machine screws, nuts and flat washers of appropriate size.
3. Bring one of the dipole sides and one side of the coax to one of the holes. Fasten them together on the wood, using the fasteners in step 2.
4. Do the same with the remaining conductors, BUT USE THE OTHER HOLE.
:headbang:headbang:headbang

Last edited:

:headbang :headbang I thought this was covered about what, a year and a half ago. I know Beetle and I both suggested the same thing to you before. For God's sake man,don't you have that dipole built yet!

:bdh: :headbang :bdh:

I wonder if he can really Salder [sic] the Slinkies to the Coaxle [sic]. Bet he has the plastic ones!

what.png

rofl.gif

Thanks but

I have the do not have Plastic Slinkys LOL

And I went to the link I did not se any Picture or phone number

I have the do not have Plastic Slinkys LOL

And I went to the link I did not se any Picture or phone number

Then it is time to learn how to config your computer then. It sems you have a lot of trouble finding things and seeing things on sites that others have no problem seeing. I remember this from a year and a half or so ago. :blink:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.