• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can someone educate me about CB Ch. 6 AM (27.025) ?

ShakyMcQuiver

Apr 11, 2018
What is up with those on Ch. 6 AM ? There are bucket-mouths on the east coast that are absolutely destroying my meter here on the west coast. And non-stop talking. Do they even take a breath? And it's been this way for YEARS. I can recall them 20-30 years ago blasting that channel and bleeding over into a few others. Is that channel some sort of skip hub, or? Is it some kind of competition channel to see who can overload the most radios? I'm not complaining... just curious. And although I hear strong skip on other channels, they are nothing compared to ch. 6. That channel is perpetual hash-n-trash.
Hell, maybe it's pre-recorded, I don't know...

I've tried to make contact on that channel, but there's no way to get through. The non-stop taking is sometimes a hoot to listen to though. How they can ramble on for hours and not say a damned thing? That's talent right there! I guess in today's terminology, that's what you'd call SPAM? LOL!

I'm VERY curious what kind of equipment they are running. It's a good bet they're not using an old Pace 123A and a screen door for an antenna?

• Haha
Reactions: Eldorado828 and Rwb

Channel 6?
It's a very large group of guys on that channel that like to play AM radio. Some of them have invested lots of time and money in some very nice stations.
You can talk to guys running radios from Yaesu's, and old Johnson's right down to plastic radios.
Some run very nice audio rack stuff into modified radios that would make guys on 80 meters jealous.
Yes, the big players sometimes have style and flair in there conversations.
Oh, and yes they sometimes run amplifiers, little solid state amps, and sometimes slightly larger amps.
And some run a ground plane, some run real big beam antennas.
Some talk on mobiles.
One thing most of them have in common is they like playing radio.
A lot.
They get up in the morning looking forward to turning on the radio and pointing the antenna at there friends up in the north west corner to say good morning and have a good day, or down south to wave at all there friends to say top of the day.
They fire up the mobile and head to work while talking to there friends.
And it not just channel 6
Lots of AM guys like to play on channel 11, often from Hawaii, some guys use 23 ( we used to call that the baby bowl) oh, and some guys like 28, calling themselves " Big Hitters"
Yes, it can be rough to get in when the traffic is heavy, lots of the guys that play on 6 know who they are talking to, it can be a tough haul getting in between them.
And yes there are a few that, unfortunately, run crappy sounding radios, that is a given in any of the radio services.
It is called different strokes for different folks.
Some guy's like to go fishing.
Some guy's like to race cars.
Some guy's like to shoot AM skip on the super bowl.
Some guy's like to talk SSB on 38.
What cracks me up the most is people have been playing like this on channel 6 now for many years, just about everyone knows about it.
There are 39 other channels to use but some will dial up channel 6 and then complain and degrade the users there because it don't fall into there own style of playing radio........
Maybe
Just maybe they should avoid 27.025.
Naw, no fun in that is there?

Jeff

there are guys there pushing over 20k with a big pole transformer inside the house mostly they like to run from 6-element to 8 elements I've made a few contacts on that channel to California when the band is not congested like from 7.00 am to 8.00am

Channel 6?
It's a very large group of guys on that channel that like to play AM radio. Some of them have invested lots of time and money in some very nice stations.
You can talk to guys running radios from Yaesu's, and old Johnson's right down to plastic radios.
Some run very nice audio rack stuff into modified radios that would make guys on 80 meters jealous.
Yes, the big players sometimes have style and flair in there conversations.
Oh, and yes they sometimes run amplifiers, little solid state amps, and sometimes slightly larger amps.
And some run a ground plane, some run real big beam antennas.
Some talk on mobiles.
One thing most of them have in common is they like playing radio.
A lot.
They get up in the morning looking forward to turning on the radio and pointing the antenna at there friends up in the north west corner to say good morning and have a good day, or down south to wave at all there friends to say top of the day.
They fire up the mobile and head to work while talking to there friends.
And it not just channel 6
Lots of AM guys like to play on channel 11, often from Hawaii, some guys use 23 ( we used to call that the baby bowl) oh, and some guys like 28, calling themselves " Big Hitters"
Yes, it can be rough to get in when the traffic is heavy, lots of the guys that play on 6 know who they are talking to, it can be a tough haul getting in between them.
And yes there are a few that, unfortunately, run crappy sounding radios, that is a given in any of the radio services.
It is called different strokes for different folks.
Some guy's like to go fishing.
Some guy's like to race cars.
Some guy's like to shoot AM skip on the super bowl.
Some guy's like to talk SSB on 38.
What cracks me up the most is people have been playing like this on channel 6 now for many years, just about everyone knows about it.
There are 39 other channels to use but some will dial up channel 6 and then complain and degrade the users there because it don't fall into there own style of playing radio........
Maybe
Just maybe they should just avoid 27.205.
Naw, no fun in that is there?

Jeff
Well said Jeff!!!!

Thanks for the explanation guys! I always wondered about that channel. I rarely go on it. I just found it interesting that after all the years I've been out of CB's... I get back into it and nothing has really changed. It's the same 'ol hash-n-trash on that channel.

I also noticed 28 was similar as you mentioned. There were a few on that channel also spinning my needle like a Merry-go-round. And yes, while there are 39 other channels (or 119), I guess we should be grateful they stick to only a few instead of destroying the rest of the band! They don't bother me, so let 'em play.

Super Bowl channel.. lol. Perfect name. I like to call it the 'Stupid Bowl'. No offense to those who watch football - I was just never a fan of it.

• Haha
Reactions: Eldorado828 and Rwb
my only thoughts do they have a job? how much the lectric bill? just wish they didnt splatter as much as they do.otherwise let em talk. my nickels worth. now im fallin off my soapbox like unca jo

I don't care if they jabber their brains out because I just move on to a different channel. But with their accents all I can think of is some 3rd world country and hope their family isn't starving because someone spent all their money on radio equipment .

Funny thing about channel 6. I had a GE mobile on the bench a year or so ago. I was aligning the receive and when I disconnected the signal generator from the antenna jack I changed the chanel from 1 to 19 for the xmit alignment. When I went by channel 6 I heard voices. I was sooo confused. I live in central Maryland and not near anyone. I listened for a brief moment and I could tell it was the super bowl. I checked the SDR online and sure enough skip was running and 6 was super loud. Skip was running on many channels but I could only pick up one guy on 6. Somehow, I was able to receive something on 6 with no antenna, in the middle of nowhere in the dark recesses of my basement (where the bench is). I was a little shocked by it but mostly impressed. I wonder, just how much power was that guy running????

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.