• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can someone tell me ANYTHING about this linear?

fantacmet

Jul 13, 2006
I recently helped someone move alot of furniture out of their parents house when their parents moved out, and decided to start anew. Well part of my payment was I could have my pick of anything in the house. The father was quite the radio hound and left ALOT of radio equipment behind. I've been a CB'er for some time and have an interest in other radio related things. Well among the radio gear was this and the corresponding power supply. I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it? Internet searches have come up empty. The power supply is a heathkit and the linear is a swinger 707. Anyway here is a picture of the front.

linear1.jpg

Anything that someone could tell me would be appreciated. Even how to work everything on the front. The knob for the band 10 meter etc is pretty self explanatory, but the rest would be helpful.

Michael

Seen my share of "Swinger 101" and "Swinger F100" boxes years ago, but never this one.

You said "power supply". Does this mean that it's a mobile amplifier that runs from 12 Volts DC?

Or does it have a 120-Volt AC power cord?

All the Swingers I've seen had two 6MJ6 tubes.

Odds are this one is over 25 years old. Radios were wimpier on average back then. Was no such thing as a "Two Final" radio in those days.

A single-final radio is what it's meant to match up with. A "mean" radio that delivers more than 25 Watt peaks may drive it too hard, may not.

The "band" switch was a ruse, to use a loophole in the FCC rules against CB amplifiers. They closed that loophole in 1979 or so. That's when legal ham amplifiers stopped being made with the 10-meter band hooked up. If it shows "10" on the band switch, it's likely older than that.

Came up dry looking for that model number. Makes me wonder if the maker didn't close down for good before many of that one were made and sold.

There's a good chance that the filter capacitors in the power supply are too old to trust. If it goes "POW!", or "Phfffft!" after you run it a while, that's what old filter capacitors do sometimes, when they're powered up after a long shelf visit.

swinger 707

hey nomad,i seen these befor.this is a 1 tube 6lq6 amp .kinda like a modulator.why they ever put 707 on a 1 tuber is beyond me.although i see this one does have a load n tune option ,maybe its 2 6lq6??usually a 1 tube will only have a tune knob.i still think its a 1 tube.hey...i just picked up a nice b&k transistor tester.thinking about tearing those keying transistors out of that transformerless tube amp soon.i found a place that will work on it as well.

It only has 1 tube. As for my radio it's a Uniden 510XL so it's not going to get very high, if I'm lucky I might be able to squeeze 9 watts out of it just barely. The power supply is a heathkit. The power supply plugs into a 120VAC outlet, and the linear plugs into that with a rather strange looking multi pin circular shaped plug. Probably about 8 pins I would say. I'm just too tired to get up and go look. If I turn it on and talk into the mic, it bleeds over pretty heavy onto sheilded computer speakers(120 dollar yamaha's so not el cheapo's). Would love to find out what kind of wattage this thing puts out. I know I've stomped the hell out of more then one person locally. Doesn't improve my recieve any, but it sure does plaster some folks. Don't worry I don't stomp your average cb'er, only the guys who find it amusing to key up whenever someone tries to talk, just to make it impossible to communicate. I key over them all the time now, and it does infuriate them. :D I can take the cover off and snap some pics or anything y'all can suggest save for buying more parts right now.

Michael

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.