• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can someone tell me this pipe size?

I was thinking it was a section of TV mast.

Ding ding !!!! It is its also yellow and I think its 13' tall. One end is tapered but I dont use that part. Its perfect for my ten meter stick and since I dont want anymore roof installs the tripod idea is my best choice

★ Sent from my Droid★

FWIW when measuring pipe sizes you measure the INSIDE of the pipe as the wall thickness can vary for strength reasons while maintaining the same standard inside size. From what you posted in the first image it looks like 1 inch thin walled pipe. Standard 1 inch schedule 40 pipe is 1.049 inches inside and 1.315 inches outside.

FWIW when measuring pipe sizes you measure the INSIDE of the pipe as the wall thickness can vary for strength reasons while maintaining the same standard inside size. From what you posted in the first image it looks like 1 inch thin walled pipe. Standard 1 inch schedule 40 pipe is 1.049 inches inside and 1.315 inches outside.

Thanks for the info I didn't know :eek:

I bought this one: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=320983893505
Its Nos but should work, I have plenty more masts if the one I posted is too small or too big.
Now to find sandbags, ( no not the ones piled at your station hi hi).

When you want the size, you measure the outside diameter. Measuring inside diameter gives you the schedule.

I think it's different depending on the kind of pipe. I know npt is measured by the ID.

Electric Conduit is measured by inside diameter...Then types... EMT/IMC/Rigid determines the thickness of the walls...Materials are steel/ALUM or plastic
Normally schedule 40 thickness...
Std. Electric tubing is never longer than 10ft in a given type listed above

Mechanical(plumbing) tubing is measured by outside diameter...and normally contains Iron/steel/copper/brass or plastic and is schedule 80 thickness
Mech. tubing varies in length...most come in std. lengths of 20ft

Any of these except the PVC can be used for mast...I've used both, just depends on what your holding up...and the length...
If is yellow...it's TV mast...normally in 5 or 6ft lengths

Confused?...so is the rest of the world:D

All the Best
BJ

Reactions: 1 person
When you want the size, you measure the outside diameter. Measuring inside diameter gives you the schedule.

I think it's different depending on the kind of pipe. I know npt is measured by the ID.

I disagree if you are talking about regular pipe sizes. Measure the inside to determine the nominal size of the pipe. If you are just talking about what you need to fit inside something else than I agree.

Standard Weight Pipe | C.W. Carry Ltd.

Last edited:
VS: The reason I sent the link for the push-up pole was due to the fact, I question as to how you plan to support 10+ft of mast and 21ft of antenna on a 3ft tripod...you mentioned sand bags. I guess I'm having a senior moment trying to picture all that being held up with sandbags?
You must be planing some kind of base to mount the tripod into...maybe mounted to a concrete sidewalk or porch step possibly??? Maybe mounted on some type of wood frame? Sorry if I missed that in one of the posts...
Help the old man out here:whistle:
See the push-up pole has Guy ring collars mounted on it...
All the Best
BJ

Reactions: 1 person
28 ft of leverage on a piece of old rusty pipe isn't something i would trust a antenna on . i'll suggest using a new piece of 1 1/2 inch or 2 inch conduit for 10 - 15 bucks . what antenna are you going to put on it ? BTW , use a tailors tape (like used to measure your waist or inseam) to measure around the outside circumference of pipe/tubing and then divide by pi (3.14) and you will have the exact outside diameter . also if you know the diameter of something round and want to know the circumference you can just multiply the diameter by 3.14 and you'll know the circumference .

it's easy as pi ;)

VS: The reason I sent the link for the push-up pole was due to the fact, I question as to how you plan to support 10+ft of mast and 21ft of antenna on a 3ft tripod...you mentioned sand bags. I guess I'm having a senior moment trying to picture all that being held up with sandbags?
You must be planing some kind of base to mount the tripod into...maybe mounted to a concrete sidewalk or porch step possibly??? Maybe mounted on some type of wood frame? Sorry if I missed that in one of the posts...
Help the old man out here:whistle:
See the push-up pole has Guy ring collars mounted on it...
All the Best
BJ

Np, yes I am bolting it to a cement slab. I was going to add three more counter legs @ 5' long but its just cheaper to lug it to the floor and ill probably guide it with wire

★ Sent from my Droid★

Np, yes I am bolting it to a cement slab. I was going to add three more counter legs @ 5' long but its just cheaper to lug it to the floor and ill probably guide it with wire

★ Sent from my Droid★

If you are going to "guide" it I suggest using a dog leash. If you want to GUY it then I suggest a GOOD nylon rope.....real nylon. The soft white stuff. Not the cheap yellow polypropylene crap that most people call nylon.Or dacron works well too. Less stretch.

If you are going to "guide" it I suggest using a dog leash. If you want to GUY it then I suggest a GOOD nylon rope.....real nylon. The soft white stuff. Not the cheap yellow polypropylene crap that most people call nylon.Or dacron works well too. Less stretch.

Iv always used actual wire..ie 7 strands ? Anyways ill check out what your talking about.

★ Sent from my Droid★

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.