• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can this be fixed?

Looks like the adhesive just broke loose. Or the Xformer overheated, expanded and broke loose the adhesive from the mounting plate. I would take some ohm and voltage readings before attempting the repair. Also check the windings for shorts. She may be smoked open or shorted.

If all checks out ok, then maybe apply heat with heat gun or SMALL butane torch to heat the plate original glue and try to peel off. Then remove the old stuff and apply some 2 part clear epoxy that withstands high heat to hold her back down. Just my skinned knuckled mechanic 2 cents. YMMV. Good luck to ya!

Reactions: kaos513 and 357
Yes, definitely dropped, the flange that holds the "laminate" core for the wrap itself - shifted - there's a lot of weight bearing down on the mount and the "glue" is simple adhesive - like high voltage stuff - rubber cement - so to see the shift like that - looks like at LEAST a 3 foot drop. The "glue" can also be the paper and lacquer applied to "seal" the winds - and you see the lacquer and paper peel...

IT ain't light either - F= M x A - someone looked like they got pissed or shipped you stuff they got from someone else. Those pics show a rebuild in progress - so some arrived in good shape - not sure if this drop was a recent one or someones' trying to whitewash an "error"

There is overspray present on the anodized/zinc'd winding cover - not sure if someone was trying to hide overheating toast damage with fresh enamel or just dressing this up - but the "Core" seems clean - just now a bent wreck.

Reactions: kaos513 and 357
The results you got are exactly the reason I always recommend using PayPal. I have not lost any money to bad vendors on eBay. Does it work at all?
If not check all of the tubes and be sure they are seated fully.

Reactions: 357 and binrat
Oddly enough, this is why the manufacturer (or dealer) insists on removing the power transformer before you ship one of these. They make it easy, providing connectors on all the transformer wires, and a rope handle through the core.

A new one arrives with the transformer in a separate carton. Installing it is not a big deal.

But shipping it with the transformer in place is risky.

As you discovered.

A single Gu74b? I'd stock up on some spare tubes. A few more if you're going to run it that hard. Russian tubes used to be dirt cheap but as the supply is getting smaller the price keeps going up. The part about squishing the transformer is kind of scary. Be sure the proper size fuses are installed and that it is grounded.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.