• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can you test tubes with an ohmmeter for more than shorts?

Sometimes they test good in the tester as there is not a big load on them but will not
function when placed in the unit and fully driven.
Besides profit motivation, that’s one reason why a lot of TV repairmen back in the day rarely used a tube tester. Substitution with a new tube was the most reliable and less time consuming method. They all had a special made carrying case full of tubes supplied to them by whatever tube manufacture they purchased from.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If you can score a Hickok tester, the good ones perform two tests on a sweep tube. The usual "transconductance" test first, then a current test. This was meant to let you detect a tube that would not perform in your color TV. If a sweep tube gets soft, and won't deliver peak current any more the picture pulls in from the sides, and the high voltage drops, limiting the picture's brightness.

This doesn't let you accurately predict how many Watts you'll see from a 6KD6 in your linear, but it helps to sort out the ones holding back an amplifier's peak power output.

Was looking at my tram stuff. Now I wonder where to get the specifications on some other tubes?

Attachments

• 15704057800231736517416456013524.jpg
    15704057800231736517416456013524.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?