• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Capacitor

cswguy

Jun 13, 2011
Oshawa Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
Hello All

Ive heard about using a Capacitor between my Amp and the Battery, Can someone explain in detail why this would be good and how to install this properly.

And if anyone can provide a good make and size to use that would be perfect.

Best-

Duane

agreed..

maybe it's in the design i dunno, but when it came to stereo usage it was powers there, then gone, then there, then gone for bass beats etc..i don't believe they're designed to provide a steady flow of juice (to large amps anyways...perhaps smaller linears?) but then again i'd think your alternator should easily handle a 250 watter

i ran a 3f cap and second battery with a pac isolator, but i was pushing 3k watts with a 65a alternator so it kinda called for it :)

About the only benefit would be that it would help 'filer' the ripple of your power line (if any). Otherwise, it's a much over rated gimick.
- 'Doc

Yup.
That, and a choke coil in circuit can clean up some noise - if that is what he meant when he asked.
:blink:

i think what he is trying to ask if the same concept would work with a linear as it would with a subwoofer amp. answer is simple. no (y)

the idea of having a constant punch of energy (current) to the transistor(linear) just will not work theoretically speaking. stupid physics!:headbang
if your having voltage drop issues shorten the power leads as safely as possible and or get a bigger alt that will do double that a linear can draw.
or go buy a fatboy motor maul.... (cheaper then dual alts)

Caps are great for high power car audio but worthless for CB amps.
It would be frightening if one blew up in the vehicle.

a cap of this type can actually hurt performance in a cb amp .
imagine your amp pulling power right from the battery and alt .all is well

now imagine trying to pull that same power from a cap that is depleted as soon as you key ,this cap is trying to recharge while your constantly draining it and attempting to draw power thru it ,all the while it is trying to recharge .

it cannot keep up and will hurt performance .

Best thing you can do is add an extra battery, it will add way more cushion than that stereo cap.........plus you wont have the charge and discharge scenario like has been described.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.