• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Capacitor

6.0 Liter,
"...plus you wont have the charge and discharge scenario like has been described."
Yes, you will. You have to recharge that battery too. So it still goes back to an inadequate supply/alternator/generator.
- 'Doc

Ive ran a capbefore and on a smaller power supply it helped with SSB peaks and as far as running the cap low well Ive never seen this type of cap one with 2 seperate hook ups (an input and an output. The cap I have has 2 lugs a + and a - your input and output leads connect to the same luygs so if you drained the cap your still getting it straight from the battery only difference is the extra help isnt there which I had never drained my cap whith has digital readout along with LED's and a warning beeper.

I agree if your running anything bigger than a Texas Star DX500 or DX667 it would be most likely useless. Ive seen people run them aswell as myself which I did for an experiment and will run it eventually on my 88 amp power supply when Im done with that amateur setup. For anyone that would rely on a cap for there main power source to draw from would be wasting there time if it wasnt thought out.

I dont think it would last ong with a big power AM amplifier because of the constant draw of power for carrier and then the added modulated swing. Isnt this basically what one of those motor mauls is? Ive nevr actually seen one so I am just asking.

You are right doc, I guess what I was thinking is that in a situation where you didnt have a monster amperage drain, but needed a bit of cushion, the battery would be more efficient. The charge cycles wouldnt be as aggressive anyway. But like mack said, you cant substitute the proper power supply.

dxChat
Help Users