• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Car Antenna Install

Simbalage22

Jul 8, 2010
Detroit MI
Hi.. Its me again... New thread for this one. I got a ford aspire. It currently has a 2" or so magnent mount antenna and a 510XL Pro Uniden. I got a Texas Star 250 High Drive to make it communicate with my recent base setup.. I know that antenna is small and needs upgrade. My cousin gave me a FireStik II and I got a mount from a local electronics store.. My question is if I mounted it to the tail gate would I get good reception as I would with the little one smack dab in the center? I just dont want to hurt my linear with this old crappy antenna.. I was going to just drill a hole center and put the antenna mount (Non Megnetic) there but the antenna is too tall to clear going in the garage for parking all the time.. I prefer also not to have a good mag mount (like a wilson 1000) Purchased to many for the common snip and walk around here. So I'd prefer to hard mount to a good spot on the car without loosing quality. I've thought of quick disconnect, but that too will become a pain... Folding would be nice.. but I havent seen anything of such yet.. Also can that THICK base (From ham antenna) wire be used from amp to antenna in a mobile setup. Below are some pictures of my setup..

1st Image = Crappy image of current nameless antenna (Possibly Roadpro)
2nd Image = Cb Install
3Rd Image = Where I am questioning mounting that FireStick 2 using verticle mount (5th Image)
4th Image = Coax I am referring to using between amp & Firestick
5th Image = The Firestick and the mount I bought!

Attachments

• DSCF2074.JPG
    DSCF2074.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2078.JPG
    DSCF2078.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2081.JPG
    DSCF2081.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2082.JPG
    DSCF2082.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2084.JPG
    DSCF2084.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

the little antenna works about as well as a wet spaghetti noodle.
DO NOT use your amp with it.

the firestik will work so-so, but not mounted where you want to mount it.

without getting too "techy" about it; only the portion of the antenna that actually clears the roof line will radiate effectively.

there is a good chance that you will encounter SWR issues with the antenna mounted there.
not something you want to drill holes in your car to find out.

in your particular situation the BEST thing for you to do is get a wilson 1000 magnet mount and just stow the antenna in the back seat when you are not in the car.
run the coax through a slightly opened window and you are done.

yes, it can be a bit of a pain taking the antenna off and on, and i used to do it all the time, but it is worth it for the ease of install and setup.

and you can use your amp!

i also wouldnt worry too much about the antenna being stolen these days.
no one even knows what they are any more, and pawn shops wont touch anything CB related. (well, except for emergency radios)

if someone did steal your antenna, most likely it is another local CBer. LOL

get the mag mount wilson 1000. its what you need.
LC

the little antenna works about as well as a wet spaghetti noodle.
DO NOT use your amp with it.

the firestik will work so-so, but not mounted where you want to mount it.

without getting too "techy" about it; only the portion of the antenna that actually clears the roof line will radiate effectively.

there is a good chance that you will encounter SWR issues with the antenna mounted there.
not something you want to drill holes in your car to find out.

in your particular situation the BEST thing for you to do is get a wilson 1000 magnet mount and just stow the antenna in the back seat when you are not in the car.
run the coax through a slightly opened window and you are done.

yes, it can be a bit of a pain taking the antenna off and on, and i used to do it all the time, but it is worth it for the ease of install and setup.

and you can use your amp!

i also wouldnt worry too much about the antenna being stolen these days.
no one even knows what they are any more, and pawn shops wont touch anything CB related. (well, except for emergency radios)

if someone did steal your antenna, most likely it is another local CBer. LOL

get the mag mount wilson 1000. its what you need.
LC

Thanks for that reply.. So if I were to use that fireStick, It would need to be mounted in the center to get any kinda results?

Any antenna mounted center of the roof will radiate more effectively.

An antenna mounted that near glass will have a broken field of ground plane and show funky swr and will most certainly have a warped radiation pattern.

Any antenna mounted center of the roof will radiate more effectively.

An antenna mounted that near glass will have a broken field of ground plane and show funky swr and will most certainly have a warped radiation pattern.

Cool, Thanks at the moment I am at my max budget with this hobbie, and i've not only had the wilsons get taken as I mention above, but fly off and thats the last thing I want.. I want a nice sterdy permanent. I always wondered why my uncle would make a hole in the top of his truck *(R.I.P) but yea that's what i am gonna do.. Going to use some large washer to help support because the metal is kinda thin.. Will post results.. Hopes of no leak LOL

Learn something new. I though glass near would be better then metal as metal Is a conductor and would definatly mess something up

If you are going to go to the trouble of removing the headliner to do a puck mount install through the roof, instead of using large flat washers (which will probably end up being too small) find yourself an old skill saw blade and use it on the inside to reinforce the all too thin roof metal. This will spread the wind load out over a much greater surface area of the roof at highway speeds.
Been done on many vehicles with great success and if you take the time to search the forum, I am sure you will find pic's of just such an install.

Good luck and have fun.

Remember CB stands for "Constantly Buying" and "Constantly Broke" :laugh:

If you are going to go to the trouble of removing the headliner to do a puck mount install through the roof, instead of using large flat washers (which will probably end up being too small) find yourself an old skill saw blade and use it on the inside to reinforce the all too thin roof metal. This will spread the wind load out over a much greater surface area of the roof at highway speeds.
Been done on many vehicles with great success and if you take the time to search the forum, I am sure you will find pic's of just such an install.

Good luck and have fun.

Remember CB stands for "Constantly Buying" and "Constantly Broke" :laugh:

Puck mount.. Is that a special mount, or is that what its call when you run the connector from the bracket i've pictured above through the roof. Yea its not removing the headliner thats the problem, is the length of the antenna clearing my garage door.. Just going to get a quick disconnect, or possibly one that can fold down :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.