• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Care to see something new?

g

When I owned the GR45 I was just starting to get into cb. I had owned many fiberglass top loaded antennas and a couple of center loaded antennas like the Wilson truckers. I purchased a MRCoily antenna while I still had the 45, and the results I got were better rx and tx on the big trucks and pickup with the Coily. It's been several years and I've learned a lot about mobile set ups. I'd like to try the GoldenRod 45 again, but I can't see paying that price for one when the performance I experienced was only good.

LoneWolf TN

antennas

Freecell,

I have seen many truck drivers with 3 foot Stargunn antennas or even 2 foot Barjan specials. What a mess. The coil or top load does not even come close to clearing the cab and they wonder why they don't receive and transmit well. I am not saying anything bad about Troy(maker of Stargunn antennas) here, just making an observation.

Also, lately I have seen my share of Sterlings, Peterbuilts, and Freightliners that have integrated the truck stereo with the cb. Great for me to run a seperate mount and coax but very frustrating for the drivers. I have actually seen 10 to 1 swrs with this set up on several different meters. I think I tried 3 meters on one guy's truck because I didn't believe what I was seeing.

I have installed the Titan's and Power Stick's with very good results.

I have had good results with the Predator 17 inch single on dump trucks with the coil above the cab and dump box.

Thanks for the great information,

Ben in Florida 8)

Would'nt be to pratical drive-around antenna. anything hit's that Top-Hat thing, and swr would go right out the window! May be ok on a truck or car thats sitting in the yard, up on block's!

Better yet. Make sure the car is in the "Back-yard", so no one can see you sitting in it! :LOL:

Greetings,
He's right on the mark, I could line up drivers from here to the east coast who, if being honest, would confirm that twin 5'top loaded power sticks, properly tuned and grounded will over the course of ALL RELAVANT USES ie; front to back TX and RX and uniform pattern as well as actual output level measured by walking around the truck with a S/RF meter, outperform the "spring on steroids"
Now I have yet to be able to levitate over the top of a truck (if anyone has, please share the secret! LOL) to search for the missing signal that the coil has compared to the sticks, but I suggest that it is going up in the air, which will help in communicating with potential assistance if stuck in a New Mexico pothole (DEEP) but wont help ya' get down the road, and as far as RX sensitivity, if wishing to have your ears plugged with noise (skip) rather than hearing up and down the road the spring is an excelent choice, but otherwise the twin stick setup is far better for ROAD USAGE. I'm also currios why the spring is refered to as a "comp" antenna as no one uses them in competetive circumstances?

I seem to remember somebody else about a year ago stating that they nearly always found that they achieved better performance using dual top loaded sticks on the big rigs for the exact same reasons Freecell posted. Nobody believed it and beat him up saying he didn't know what he was talking about...

Test test test and then test somemore, be honest with yourself, dont shortcut setups,and test to duplicate results,environment IS relative so don't compare apples to suspension bridges, and above all try different things because that is where innovation comes from, just remember no matter how many times they reinvent the wheel the tires will still go flat.
Punchin' out

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.