• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Care to see something new?

skirtchaser

Sep 18, 2005
N.Western Arizona
Gr45+B.jpg

Pertinent info:
length-51"
weight-11oz.
wind area-0.13sq.ft.
freq. range- 26.2-29.5mhz.
gain-4.75dbi
vswr-1.5-1 max
power-12kw.
www.signalengineering.com
Alright you "spring on sterroids" fans, care to compare apples to apple trees?
All thoughts appreciated
Punchin' out...........

I know a guy down in Havasu (DDX357) that has one mounted on his boat and he swears by the thing, says it's seriously "next level" stuff, he shoots skip on 41.5 and up while his old lady gathers sun out on the boat. I'm seriously considering checking one out.
Punchin' out.........

skirtchaser,
Take those specs with a very large scoop of salt! The gain figure is pure 'horse-hocky', just ain't gonna happen (also depends on what you're comparing it to). It's a loaded (the coil) antenna with a large top hat. The loop thingys amount to a capacitive top hat which isn't 'bad' in it's self. Just means you don't have a longer whip over the coil. (If you're going to use a top hat the 'best' place for it is under the coil, not over it, but either will work.) The shape of the top hat has very little to do with it's affectiveness, sort of. The same 'amount' of wire in a different shape would work just as well, just less corona than if it was pointy. The thing's been around for some time...
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
They always did look a little "dummy loadish" :LOL:

Never seen one here in the UK tho, although they have been around for a while.

Skirtchaser :shock: lol I was gonna change my nick to ThongCatcher :oops: lol what you reckon?

off subject , just have to say GREAT !! Icon 351-Bear ...Inspector Curoso ....Auh yes !! The Pink Panther !! Peter Sellers

f

Not new, but definitely different. I owned a GoldenRod 45 several years ago and sold it to a guy off the forum who lives in Chicago. The antenna performs good, but not great. I would suggest a Coily antenna or a 10k, they are built better and perform better - just my experience...

LoneWolf TN

f

Folks think you're running a tv antenna going down the road. :LOL: Get's ya' lots of looks and stares. :shock: I think it performs about as well as a 'Power Stick' antenna - and in my opinion, money would be better spent on a quality mobile coil antenna like Coily or Predator10k. You can get either antenna bought and shipped for well under a hundred bucks.

LoneWolf TN

A short, vertical antenna suffers from several disadvantages, low base resistance, high values of reactance and excessive high-angle radiation. top-loading in its several forms is not only an attempt to contribute to the electrical length in an effort to more closely approximate a full 1/4 wavelength but to also mitigate both radiation resistance, input impedance and current distribution, to balance those values to produce more efficient radiation of the em wave and prevent excessive I2R losses wasting transmitter energy in the form of heat. the gain figure associated with the GR45 @ 4.75 Dbi is more believable than most, and in case some of you missed it IS compared to the "unity" gain produced by the isotropic source, Db = decibels, i = isotropic. as 351 alluded to in his post, this antenna performs at its best when used in environments such as hilltop vantage point terrain and also in wide-open unobstructed areas that are mostly rural in nature as the top-hat also serves to eliminate large amounts of wasted upward radiation only useful in more suburban and urban environments or for high angle, short hop sky wave propagation. with the GR45 operating in the type of terrain that it was designed for, you will be hard pressed to find anything else in a 4'3" package handling 12KW of power that will perform as well. and with one last reference to the quoted gain, 4.75 Dbi, 2.64 Dbd, try constructing a 1/2 wave dipole at the same feedpoint height (if you can) as a comparable installation of a GR45 and see for yourself how quickly the ground losses at that height above ground just eats up any gain that might have been produced by the dipole because of its close proximity to ground and you'll get a glimpse of just exactly what some of the other functional attrubutes of capacitive top-hat loading actually contribute to an antenna design such as this.

so there are at least 5 quantitative values that top-loading attempts to balance and affect in a favorable manner, radiation resistance, impedance, I2R/ground losses, electrical length and elimination of wasted skywave radiation in an attempt to increase the efficiency and the gain of a physically shortened 1/4 wave radiator. now it's no longer a mystery.

d

Freecell, have you ever owned and tested a GR45? Just curuious. If so, how would you compare it's performance to the better built 'comp' style big coil antennas? I found it lacking in performance when compared to the 10k's and Coilys.

LoneWolf TN

i have sold and installed dozens of them, in singles and phased pairs. on tractor rigs pulling boxes or trailers they are far and away superior to the antennas you mentioned, especially with regard to coverage to the rear of the box/trailer. then again. so is just about any top loaded antenna.

i just took in another pair of 10K dual coil antennas not too long ago and installed top-loaded antennas (PowerStik QS-504's) and not only was the match lower across all 8 bands when compared to the previous antennas, range was increased by a factor of 2X - 3X* in both forward and rearward directions, respectively. the driver travels almost exclusively cross-country and was not able to produce usable signal beyond distances of *20 miles in any direction with the previous antennas. now under no-skip daytime conditions he averages 40+ miles to the front and 60+ miles to the rear with a 228 Tuned GDX95T running 45 - 180 PEP.

the tractor was a 2002 387 Pete with dual stacks on the sides of the cab, in fairly close proximity to the antennas on the mirrors. for those drivers bold enough to sport something as unorthodox in appearance as the GR45, similar results have been experienced.

i mentioned the tractor and the stacks in the previous paragraph because in most configurations such as this, unknowingly or otherwise, the stacks themselves become an integral part of the antenna system due to the intense capacitive coupling between them and the antennas just in front of them on the mirrors, causing the antennas to tune slightly longer than they normally would to achieve resonance and match. what would normally be seen by most as an impediment to proper antenna operation and pattern development in trucks such as this actually becomes an exploitable advantage to anyone familiar with just exactly how a parasitically driven element operates, assuming that the proper antenna design is used. the interesting thing is that as the length of the stack approaches 1/4 wavelength it makes an excellent director element and by the same token, as much as its length exceeds that of a full size 1/4 wave element it also becomes a suitable reflector element. this effect is greatly diminished as the loading coil of the particular antenna design used is moved closer and closer to the base of the antenna due to the manner in which current and voltage is distributed.

the other problem is that in many antennas (not just base loaded) is that there is hardly ever enough tuning range to compensate for the increased coupling of the stacks to return the antenna system to a matched condition and especially in the case of base loaded antennas at the low angles necessary for long distance operation the majority of the signal is impeded by the front wall of the box or trailer, preventing acceptable performance to and from the rear of same. the higher up the antenna the transition from current to voltage takes place, the further up the antenna the bulk of the em wave is dispersed into both the near and far fields, at the preferred and advantageous angles.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.