• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Antenna Light

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
I had posted this before some were here, but Here ya go again.......

Got Light?

Storm Bringer standing in the Back Of Midnight dragon`s truck holding some fluorescent lights, she keys the radio, this is what ya get

hehehehehehehe

MidNightDragons656xforce1Large.jpg

Here is His own Pick up, Man them tubes glow Huh?

StormbringersXForce3Large.jpg

--RF Power by X Force

----Light By RF Power

----- Photos By Storm Bringer.

(photos used with permission from StormBringers Realm )

On Edit.
Old links dead, the pictures can been seen in my photo album.

Jeff

Last edited:

I'm looking to make my own LED light for a CB antenna for when I'm transmitting. I know this can easily be done with a neon bulb which runs off the high voltage coming off the antenna. How could this be done with an LED? If you know of sites with information about this or even sites that explain the neon method in detail, please post them. Thanks!

</p>

I'm looking to make my own LED light for a CB antenna for when I'm transmitting. I know this can easily be done with a neon bulb which runs off the high voltage coming off the antenna. How could this be done with an LED? If you know of sites with information about this or even sites that explain the neon method in detail, please post them. Thanks!

</p>

Wow glowage LOL! I have also heard of the neon method but I dont think a LED will work. I think all you need to do for the neon one is atach it to the top of your antenna and thats it. I have been wanting to try it myself to see how it looks.

you would have to have some power to make the bulbs glow. A regular 4 watt radio wouldnt glow the sticks would it? I was thinking of putting a bulb on the mobile and when going down the interstate and when i key up it would glow. That would be pretty sweet. I think it would be. But is their a specific light i would have to buy? Or would a neon blacklight work? [/quote]

Would i have to be close to the antenna to make it light up? My antenna is about 30 feet high. I will use my amp but will i have to get close to make it light up? I can get around 10 feet from the base of the antenna. Would that be close?

CDX197,
The fluorescent bulb would have to be in contact with the antenna, or very close (as in an inch or so), to light up. A fluorescent light depends on voltage to make it light up, so it should be next/near to where the voltage is highest on an antenna, usually the tip.
The size of the light bulb depends on the amount of voltage present in the antenna, which depends on the amount of power being used. I've no idea what power is required for a particular size of fluorescent bulb. The only bulbs I've used on a mobile were NE-2's, and just don't need much 'power' to work. After something like 100 watts, almost any size fluorescent bulb will light up. It still needs to be very close to the tip of the antenna though, and a 12 foot fluorescent bulb would be sort of hard to 'do' on a mobile, right?
If you decide to go the 'NE-2" route, buy a pocket full of them. They're very fragile and you'll break a few...
- 'Doc

I remember buying little blubs that came with a little heat shrink tubing to hold them on to the tips of the antenna's on mobiles .....they worked pretty well until to much watts went through them and they would usually burn out .....my question to all this and which I never thought about it at the time , I wonder if these little blubs would cause SWR problems ??? Hmm
im0009247ga.jpg

400-500 w peak is all you need to make 5-6' florecent bulbs glow...
2-2879's or a 3-pill class C is all you need to do that....

a TS 500 or a 667 will do the same thing....

AM POWER

They were doing about 700-900 watts when those pictures were taken almost a year ago. You have to touch the bulbs to the ant. to get them to light up. If I remember correctly I was told that the person in the pictures was able to walk about 35- 40 ft. away from the ant. befor the lights started to fade out. You have to be carefull doing that though, because the lights can get warm and crack.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.