• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Fire Stik Dipole Question

GA1dad

Jun 2, 2009
Afternoon all.

A couple of weeks back I bought two new in package 4' Fire Stik antennas,,, $10 for the pair. As I understand it they are supposed to be 5/8 wave, electrically. These do not have any tuning adjustments that I can tell. I bought them for no particular reason other than a low cost opportunity.

I've been pondering on picking up a MFJ-347 dipole mount to put them on. Any reason to think they will not perform decently in either vertical or horizontal position with only a coax choke? The radio will likely be a President McKinley set up as a base station.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Highway Man

The red cap on the top usually pops off and underneath is a tuning screw. Mine is a FireStik 2. The older ones to tune you remove the cap and unwind some of the wire under the "wrap".

They will work fine. Have used 4’ Firestiks horizontal, vertical and in an inverted V. They likely will not need any tuning if mounted in the clear.

Have fun!
Jim

Reactions: codeman and 2NC995
GA1dad said:
A couple of weeks back I bought two new in package 4' Fire Stik antennas,,, $10 for the pair. As I understand it they are supposed to be 5/8 wave, electrically.
Unless they're 22ft long no they're not. Coiling 22ft of wire into a 4' length does not make it a 5/8 wave.

The KW series Firestik, non tuning tip, are allegedly 3/4 wave

Unless they're 27ft long no they're not. Coiling 27ft of wire into a 7' length does not make it 3/4 wave. On their site it says:
The loading coil on all "KW" antennas
It wouldn't need a loading coil if it were a true 3/4 wave.

Both those claims are market bollocks but it comes as no surprise from a company that states that antenna mounts must be grounded to a chassis ground point.

chassis-grnd.gif

Reactions: HomerBB and bob85
I've been pondering on picking up a MFJ-347 dipole mount to put them on. Any reason to think they will not perform decently in either vertical or horizontal position with only a coax choke?

Yes. The fact they're 4ft long each. They'll have less than 25% of the efficiency of a full sized dipole. Given you can make a full size dipole for pennies using nothing more than wire which will work much better it makes no sense to make one out of 4ft compromise antennas.

Afternoon all.

A couple of weeks back I bought two new in package 4' Fire Stik antennas,,, $10 for the pair. As I understand it they are supposed to be 5/8 wave, electrically. These do not have any tuning adjustments that I can tell. I bought them for no particular reason other than a low cost opportunity.

I've been pondering on picking up a MFJ-347 dipole mount to put them on. Any reason to think they will not perform decently in either vertical or horizontal position with only a coax choke? The radio will likely be a President McKinley set up as a base station.

Thanks in advance

Look on eBay you can find knock offs of the mfj-347 for cheaper, if you don’t want to make your own. I’m about to do the same thing with two Mfj 20 meter hamsticks, just to try an save a little space, I’ve also found the 40 meter full-size wire dipole that I built back in 2015 but never hung up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dipole-Ant...527654?hash=item3409c9eca6:g:QdwAAOSwGBhaWmFL

Last edited:
Reactions: GA1dad and Riverman
Yes. The fact they're 4ft long each. They'll have less than 25% of the efficiency of a full sized dipole

Can you educate us on this?

I’ve noticed that for 1/4 cb antennas performance seems to drop sharply below 5’. 4’ is still plenty tolerable, but 5’ and up I’ve hardly been able to tell the difference with a full 1/4 wave (comparing RX signals on an S meter).

My question would be about the 25%. What does that mean and where does it come from??

Reactions: Marconi
Ever one of these guys got “stuff” related to radio squirreled away somewhere. All over. Everywhere. Bought it same reason you gave.

Good, better; best.
Comes from trying it out.

Saying it’s about money beside the point. That’s only a bonus.

That something MAY be better is on paper. Extraneous conditions may “require” less performance due to some other parameter.

Luckily, a wire dipole isn’t expensive. A cheap baseline comparator.

Q: “Hey, hand, getcha a DIY wire dipole up when you’re doing that Firestik thing. EVERYONE needs a little antenna wahr anyhow. Difficulty in erection means one or t’other wins that Blue Pill Award”.

A: I’ll know how I feel about it either way. But them others listening might feel they’re gettin’ rogered. I got mine. Did they get theirs? Do I care?”

Reactions: Riverman
Can you educate us on this?

I’ve noticed that for 1/4 cb antennas performance seems to drop sharply below 5’. 4’ is still plenty tolerable, but 5’ and up I’ve hardly been able to tell the difference with a full 1/4 wave (comparing RX signals on an S meter).

My question would be about the 25%. What does that mean and where does it come from??

I never found a noticeable difference from 5' to 4' when mounted TDC of the roof of a well bonded pickup and the 4' and 5' Firestik ll are exactly the same with the 5 having 5 or 6 extra long twist ( windings) at the base. There isn't a complete foot difference in length that I can tell without accurately measuring.

Sorry for the triple post but I have been aiming to build the exact same for fun and experimenting. Cool stuff to do with stuff you have laying around

Carry on

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.