• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB internal coax to antenna jack broke off.

long night

Jan 8, 2020
Hi to all. The internal section of coax the goes to the antenna jack on the back of the cb broke off and is now to short to reattach to the jack. Is it hard to replace this coax with a new section and reattach it to the jack? I can find no help on line or on you tube that addresses this problem. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you Chuck Saylor

You just need to reuse or replace the pl259 plug and depending on the type crimp or solder it back on. You tube has many videos that show you how.

Hey Chuck,
I am assuming that you are talking about the wire that goes from the circuit board to the back of the antenna jack. If that's the case then the quick answer is yes, it is an easy fix. You do not need to use coax for this though. A piece of solid wire would be fine. The size (gauge) should be the same or larger. Keep it as short as possible. It does not need to be insulated either but can be. Look at a few CB repair videos on YT and look at how the wire is done if you need to. Lastly, I am also assuming that the antenna jack was loose and when you tightened your coax to it the jack spun and broke the wire. If that is the case make sure you fix that as well!!!! I know that some folks use locktite on those to help keep it from coming loose again. If I am mistaken in any of my assumptions just let us know so we can give you better counsel.

Hey Chuck,
I am assuming that you are talking about the wire that goes from the circuit board to the back of the antenna jack. If that's the case then the quick answer is yes, it is an easy fix. You do not need to use coax for this though. A piece of solid wire would be fine. The size (gauge) should be the same or larger. Keep it as short as possible. It does not need to be insulated either but can be. Look at a few CB repair videos on YT and look at how the wire is done if you need to. Lastly, I am also assuming that the antenna jack was loose and when you tightened your coax to it the jack spun and broke the wire. If that is the case make sure you fix that as well!!!! I know that some folks use locktite on those to help keep it from coming loose again. If I am mistaken in any of my assumptions just let us know so we can give you better counsel.
Would it be wise to replace the connector with the good-old 4-screw and nut connector? I think the screws are either 8-32 or 10-32 threads.

Would it be wise to replace the connector with the good-old 4-screw and nut connector? I think the screws are either 8-32 or 10-32 threads.
I would think if the case was already drilled for the 4 screw type then yes, that would be a good choice. If not, the other type work but a little extra torque on the nut would not be a bad idea.

Hey Chuck,
Hi Lkaskel. Thank you for the great advice. You are exactly right about seeing my issue. I will add the locktite as well. Much appreciated!!

Coax to antenna jack suggests base station. I would be sure the case where the jack is attached is at RF ground if you plan to swap that coax with a single wire.

I may have laughed a little at the cable stretcher.......Well done!!
I used to work in a metal shop and one of the guys wasn't all there. Someone told him to go in the basement to get the steel stretcher, he spent the better part of the day searching for the stairs (no basement). Then one day, we needed a crescent (spanner) wrench. He came out with the right tool, but when I told him "no, the metric one", off he went back to the tool crib. He came back with one that had the handle length stamped in metric lol.

Reactions: BJ radionut
I may have had the bucket of amps joke pulled on me when I was a teen. I had a great sense of humor so I thought it was funny as well. There are so many good ones out there like bubble water for the level and the cable stretcher is the famous one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.