• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Lights

jacobsenchief

Apr 7, 2014
I installed 3' antennas on my 1976 Chevy K20, and was wondering how it would affect the CB quality by installing some sort of Red LED lights that would be ran off the brake and turn signal lights. Would that make the antennas and CB useless, or would I just have to re-tune them?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

IIRC back in the day, guys would use a mercury lamp at the end of the antenna with a coil of wire wrapped around the antenna tip. That was enough to light it up every time they keyed up w/o doing it the way you've described. Forget that!

Would that neon or mercury lamp work on a fiberglass antenna or does it only work for steel whip antennas?

The light will kick on because it is so close to the 'RF field' when the mic is keyed.
No wires are directly attached to a metal whip or fiberglass rod.
One of the guys that did this back in that day put it on his 7 ft Firestick; but any antenna will do the same thing.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the word TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. The light will dissipate a really small amount of your transmitted signal (takes power to make bulb light up). It's the RF signal ionizing the neon (red) or argon (white) gas that produces the light. I wouldn't use a fluorescent tube or any bulb that has mercury in it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.