• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB radio Becoming Respectable Again???

Is CB radio making a comeback?

• Yes

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Who Cares

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I knew it was time to get a big radio and Tx without taking a test and receiving a license.
I doubt any of my Spanish speaking neighbors to the south have a study guide available. It's Macarena music and coordinated directions around CBP Falfurrias check points down here. Any of ya'll got a good 2-160m for sale? LOL.

I had some years in Corpus Christi. Ran the oilfield a while. But it all just keeps deteriorating. One of my neighbors, a well-to-do physician said they’d found more than 250-bodies over ten years on the family ranch on the Rio Grande. (25,000-acres. What they jokingly call “a starter ranch” down there). How many more bodies never found I decided was enough.

Fort Worth (North Texas) is a lot easier to live with.

Went south through Canadian yesterday and stopped in Childress. Both on US-83. You just run on over to Laredo to intersect 83, turn right and keep on running north for 800-miles. What’s lost down there isn’t so far gone up here.

Plenty of radio chatter. In decipherable American accents.

Reactions: Rwb and Riverman
I had some years in Corpus Christi. Ran the oilfield a while. But it all just keeps deteriorating. One of my neighbors, a well-to-do physician said they’d found more than 250-bodies over ten years on the family ranch on the Rio Grande. (25,000-acres. What they jokingly call “a starter ranch” down there). How many more bodies never found I decided was enough.

Fort Worth (North Texas) is a lot easier to live with.

Went south through Canadian yesterday and stopped in Childress. Both on US-83. You just run on over to Laredo to intersect 83, turn right and keep on running north for 800-miles. What’s lost down there isn’t so far gone up here.

Plenty of radio chatter. In decipherable American accents.

I'm in Port Lavaca on coast. Only thing I get is occasional skip. Two days ago I swear I was receiving Piedras Negras, Reyanosa, and a few other Northern territories of Mexico. Could tell that some was coming from Falfurrias due to reference to one call stating Encino, 281, 285, and 77.

Reactions: Rwb
But you’re still in South Texas which extends over to Victoria. Pretty well everything south of San Antonio and over to Del Rio.

Work on your Spanglish some more.

Start saving for a MR X custom. And every piece of exterior chrome available your model truck. Extra chicken lights. Re-treads only.

When the lights go out and you’re neither hermano nor compadre, faking it might be enough to make an escape.

F125BD88-4BC7-4165-84F6-EBB5876FD7AB.jpeg

16 switches, 9 jeweled knobs, a useless heat sink on the bottom of unit, with a night light glow in the dark fan. Ummm....are you serious? That much in bling alone would set me back what? About 10k ? I guess that BIG RIG TACO has a built in speech processor that converts English to Spanglish? Does it come with Pico? It's got the cool factor though.

Prefer Maypops over re-treads, don't like alligators in the middle of the road. I always carry extra 1 gallon cans of black paint and heavy nap rollers to paint the tires black so the air won't show. Just slap some of that black Gorillia tape on the frayed spots and a good think coat. Yup learnt that un from them Alabama log haulers.

• Haha
Reactions: Rwb and Slowmover
16 switches, 9 jeweled knobs, a useless heat sink on the bottom of unit, with a night light glow in the dark fan. Ummm....are you serious? That much in bling alone would set me back what? About 10k ? I guess that BIG RIG TACO has a built in speech processor that converts English to Spanglish? Does it come with Pico? It's got the cool factor though.

Prefer Maypops over re-treads, don't like alligators in the middle of the road. I always carry extra 1 gallon cans of black paint and heavy nap rollers to paint the tires black so the air won't show. Just slap some of that black Gorillia tape on the frayed spots and a good think coat. Yup learnt that un from them Alabama log haulers.

Love it!! Fabulosa!!

Let’s be honest. CB radio has the reputation of being filled with nothing but misfits using raunchy language. Where I live though, CB radio is making a comeback and it’s mainly the 20 & 30 somethings. Us younger folks on the CB are cordial and carry on really decent conversations using the Queens English. Albeit with a southern accent. I know about 10 or so people with CB radios personally and all of us run stock. No amps or noise toys to be found among us.

As the older crowd from the heyday of CB “sign-off” the trash talk is going away. In my opinion the 11-meter band is becoming respectable again. Just this past winter I was able to help a guy out who ran off the road and got stuck in a snow storm. He called for help on Ch.-19 so, I got on my tractor, drove the mile and a half and pulled him back on the road. I have no idea who the guy was and haven’t heard from him since. There is no cell coverage in my area for miles so this was his only way of communication and I regularly monitor the CB during storms.

I’m seeing more and more CB radio antennas on vehicles, too. Yesterday, I drove to the Salem VA medical center and on the way there and back I counted a total of 14 vehicles with CB antennas. Granted, I don’t have a CB in the vehicle I drove so I don’t know what the talk was, but the CB’s were definitely out there.

The point is that I believe a new generation is taking over the 11-meter band and doing so in great numbers all over the Country. I think there are many reasons for this and wanted to know if you guys are seeing the same thing in your area.

Now, I know there are a lot of undesirable folks using the CB, but if we are completely honest we can say the same thing about the amateur bands too. In fact, the main issue we have where I live is HAM operators getting on the 11-meter band and trashing us CB guys.

I’ll admit that my “radio dream” is to have a network of about 750,000 CB users that would create a blanket of coverage over the entire U.S. This grid of users would become well known to the general public as a reliable means of assistance therefore bringing CB radio back to the masses. Highly unlikely. I know.

Many of you probably think I’m either joking or crazy, but I’m quite serious. Hmm, does that make me crazy?

Did any of you know that CB radios are selling like hot cakes? I looked up my Galaxy 959 on Amazon and it is number 14 in sales in the Car Electronics/Satellite Radio category. That’s amazing considering the “modern” competition it has and the volume of sales on Amazon.

Anyway, what are your experiences? Do you think CB radio is making a comeback? After all, often times what’s old becomes new again.
I am just back in after 40 away, I just retired, I am a bit of a prepper, so thought comms would be nice, bought a dual band ham, HATED IT*** THE BEEPING LITTLE MONSTER, so flipped it for a cb, Within a month I had 3 of them. I have had good skip on ssb 38. I am enjoying this to no end. I think cb is growing some, pretty dead here in ontario, but I am doing my bit to get some interest going. I think as us lod bucks retire, we have the time, and if were in back in the day, we have some fond memories, for me that is the case. I have very fond memories of cb radio, some of the friends I have today were people I got to know on the cb radio back in the day. I stay off am 6, can't figure what the heck thats even about, you southern cb guys on the six, YOUR ALL NUTS, get some help! Laughs. But I do listen to it for a laugh.

I've actually seen guys put black silicone in gouges of the sidewalls to hide the cords...

Baytown?????
You DO get around!!!!!!!!!!
'bout 10 minutes from my house...
I miss Baytown. Down south TX now. Starting another yob down here. Ineos, Port Lavaca. Safety Council down here is not like Deer Park or Corpus. The latter is really different also. Went back on my tools for this T/A. Usually planning in project controls or supervision. Friend of mine, whom I've worked with and for before is boss. He's happy to get a badass pipefitter out of semi retirement. Down here they drag things out. Milking jobs you could say. 12" dia pipe, they gonna have to give me 3 welders. Hope they can keep up. Finish this T/A hope to score back to planning around Texas City, Baytown, or Channel View. My step daughter lives in Alvin and I miss my Grandaughter, Marti, and the new baby girl. A year old already and I have not met her. I got the Baytown Blues. Even though my ex died right there on feeder road in motorcycle accident north side one exit east of Garth. There was more to it than one bike accident, but Baytown PD don't give a shit about bikers.

First, I am sure sorry about the loss...and you are right...they probably don't care enough to dig in.
Sound like you do have some good things going on. I hope that keeps up and you stay safe and make it back in the area someday!

I miss Baytown. Down south TX now. Starting another yob down here. Ineos, Port Lavaca. Safety Council down here is not like Deer Park or Corpus. The latter is really different also. Went back on my tools for this T/A. Usually planning in project controls or supervision. Friend of mine, whom I've worked with and for before is boss. He's happy to get a badass pipefitter out of semi retirement. Down here they drag things out. Milking jobs you could say. 12" dia pipe, they gonna have to give me 3 welders. Hope they can keep up. Finish this T/A hope to score back to planning around Texas City, Baytown, or Channel View. My step daughter lives in Alvin and I miss my Grandaughter, Marti, and the new baby girl. A year old already and I have not met her. I got the Baytown Blues. Even though my ex died right there on feeder road in motorcycle accident north side one exit east of Garth. There was more to it than one bike accident, but Baytown PD don't give a shit about bikers.

Was another life time looking back now. Been ten years I think, quit counting. Quit thinking. Just about quit. Period. Just dogs and chickens.......and those assholes on the job. About a month of turnaround and maybe get picked up closer to Alvin. Would like Freeport or even Ineos out off 2001. Stayed in Hitchcock for a year or so. Easy drive there.

I am just back in after 40 away, I just retired, I am a bit of a prepper, so thought comms would be nice, bought a dual band ham, HATED IT*** THE BEEPING LITTLE MONSTER, so flipped it for a cb, Within a month I had 3 of them. I have had good skip on ssb 38. I am enjoying this to no end. I think cb is growing some, pretty dead here in ontario, but I am doing my bit to get some interest going. I think as us lod bucks retire, we have the time, and if were in back in the day, we have some fond memories, for me that is the case. I have very fond memories of cb radio, some of the friends I have today were people I got to know on the cb radio back in the day. I stay off am 6, can't figure what the heck thats even about, you southern cb guys on the six, YOUR ALL NUTS, get some help! Laughs. But I do listen to it for a laugh.
I am a lifetime CB'r and am a Ham operator. I use CB in all of our ranch rigs and houses. The Ham is good for me as I am remote and the cellphone don't work all the time. I can talk on 2 meter using the repeater so I can get help when I need it. The CB is so cool,it is one of my first memories in radio. So glad it is still around !

Oh boy. Me and these old post's.
I think CB and Ham, etc...radio is respectable. Very.
It's a wonderful hobby that I still enjoy to this day.
I wish more folks would pick up the hobby. And, be decent about it. Instead of all the cussing, political, nasty talk of any kind. Would just love to see people get along.

tejas miss the trips out to midland odessa with pipe stacked with pipe inside pipe inside pipe.flintstone bulldog E9 500+ hp bed truck 3 drive axles 5x4x4 pulling a 5 axle rollertail float. ran houston to midland odessa a lot toting oil patch stuff.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.