• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB shops in or around San Antonio Texas

I do not remember you having a shop, well unless your talking about that place you and that guy had at the Flea market, other than that it seems you did real good, i am glad you did good, out of all the guys i knew back then you've done the best, no i don't have that radio anymore, got stolen out of my car when to a friends house, broke out the window and took it, that got me pretty pissed off, my grandfather gave me that radio but that's old news, i still would like to get back om but cause of my health i can't take a chance and try to put a mast up and have the antenna fall on my head, i got real brittle bones so if i fell it could kill me, i hate talking about my problems, it is not your problems so i'll shut up, sorry for crying about it but it sounds like your doing real good, i have a question, how high does a dipole need to be up in the air for it to work the best, when i was on face book a guy i met there made me a cheap one, it could handle maybe 100 watts, very light weight but still it should work.

Codeman, where do you live, are you around the Bourne area

My place is on the northeast side of San Antonio. I have a townhouse there for now, really thinking of selling it and moving back out to the country where I grew up.

I have used a wire dipole mounted at maybe 12 feet high with some success running a 80 watt radio. Good for DX, not so good for local talk.

Reactions: Slowmover
Around 281 and 1604, my sister lives off 1604 and Bulverde, about 2 or 3 miles the loop, i live out here with my parents which i hate, can't live by myself cause of medical reasons, i guess you read what i told Dr._Dx about my health, so i have to stay with someone so i don't have anything happen to me, i don't have anyone, this is why i need to get another antenna up, either a dipole, put it up Vertical, i don't know if you read the other post i had about the Pole Cat 1/2 wave that is a little beat up, pretty good antenna but kind of beat up, but it is a good antenna, i had it up to about 30 foot up and talked great.

Around 281 and 1604, my sister lives off 1604 and Bulverde, about 2 or 3 miles the loop, i live out here with my parents which i hate, can't live by myself cause of medical reasons, i guess you read what i told Dr._Dx about my health, so i have to stay with someone so i don't have anything happen to me, i don't have anyone, this is why i need to get another antenna up, either a dipole, put it up Vertical, i don't know if you read the other post i had about the Pole Cat 1/2 wave that is a little beat up, pretty good antenna but kind of beat up, but it is a good antenna, i had it up to about 30 foot up and talked great.

Are you planning on getting another antenna up? What do you have for a radio now? I have a sirio 27a boomerang antenna mounted on a painter's pole stuck in a five gallon bucket in my patio area. I live in a townhouse like I said and cant put an antenna up on the roof. It actually work pretty well on sideband locally and dx. I might get 10 miles with it on am locally if I am lucky. But I have made a few am contacts dx with just about 100 watts.
I can run more power now and it helps making those dx contacts for sure. The antenna seems to work pretty well but it is a bit flimsy.

Codeman i got a few radio's Uniden 2510, a Super Stat JA ans a Uniden PC 122 that i think needs caps, they all probably need caps as it's been some time simce i used any of them, just looked at the Boomerang antenna and looks like a good deal, do they still make them and what kind of SWR do you get, i have a 30 or so pipe mast that i have up now, i have a 3 element Cross Bow Beam antenna i think, it's at where my dad lived before he died but not sure if they threw it out but either the Boomerang or the Balcony antenna would work good.

Codeman i got a few radio's Uniden 2510, a Super Stat JA ans a Uniden PC 122 that i think needs caps, they all probably need caps as it's been some time simce i used any of them, just looked at the Boomerang antenna and looks like a good deal, do they still make them and what kind of SWR do you get, i have a 30 or so pipe mast that i have up now, i have a 3 element Cross Bow Beam antenna i think, it's at where my dad lived before he died but not sure if they threw it out but either the Boomerang or the Balcony antenna would work good.

My swrs are between 1.2 to 1.4 from xbox channel 1 to 40. It seem to be fairly broadband. I have it hooked with about 50 feet if coax which really more then I need for now. But I am sure some day the extra length will come in handy.

Sounds like the 2510 would be your best radio for SSB, assuming it is still working. Even if it isn't, it is worth spending some $$$ on to get it running. Rogerbird still works on them and is considered one of the best 2510 techs out there. He has a reasonable flat rate to go through/tune up a radio and for $10 more, he will recap it.

I have a radio friend that lives in your neck of the woods and he and his son have offered to help people (if they have the time) get their antennas installed so they can get on the air. He could probably help with the repair of the polecat if you just want to slot it and use hose clamps. He just wants more people on the air so he can talk to them. If you think you might want to go that route, just PM me your contact info and I can get it to him. No promises, but he is good people, and maybe able to help.

OK thanks, sounds good to me, you said he is in neck of the woods, well you know i live out here in Pipe Creek area so he is somewhat close to me, I think the 2510 may need caps can he recap the radio or should i let roger bird do the work, how do i PM people on here, never done that here

Hi codeman, SWR are between 1.2 to 1.4, can that antenna be adjusted, myself i like lower SWR, my Pole Cat when everything is tuned, the SWR are pretty low, like 1.0 to 1.2 maybe a little lower but that covers around 120 to 160 somewhere around there but that antenna seems it does pretty good, i looked at the cost and seems resonable to me, i may get one to try.

Hi Codeman, whats up, have you been on the radio lately and who have you heard in town, even if i had a antenna up i can not hear that far on a groundplane.

Hi Codeman, whats up, have you been on the radio lately and who have you heard in town, even if i had a antenna up i can not hear that far on a groundplane.

I have been in and out of town... Saturday it was pretty dead on the radio, Sunday afternoon I was on the radio and made quite a few contacts. There are a couple of guys that live in the area you are in and I have no problems talking with them. I believe one of the guys is using an Imax about 30 ft high.
Back out on the road again...

Last edited:
Codeman are you a driver, I live in Pipe Creek, i live probably around 15 to 30 miles from Dr._DX, well i think i do and you live out by 1604 and 281, i think you said some where in that area so ya you did good with boomerang antenna, that antenna works pretty good if you made it out here, when i lived in town, out by then school on Eckert, John Marshall high school and would talk down 16 all the way to 16 and 46, that is almost 50 miles, man those were fun days

Yes I'm a driver. I live close to I-35 /1604 area. That boomerang antenna does good for me. Especially since I only have it mounted at 6ft high. Of course some of the people I hear and talk or just listen to from out in your area are running beam antennas, so they are able to turn their house around.
All the local talk I have found is on sideband. I know their used to be some action on some of the AM channels locally. Not sure if their is anymore.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.