• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB size question

BangSwitch

Apr 15, 2007
I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a ssb radio that has the same outside dimensions as a Cobra 18WX. Which is 7 x 1.9 x 6.5 inches. Does not need to be a Cobra.

Thanks

the only one for ssb that comes to mind is a front mic uniden pc122 and 122xl. about 8X2x6. the realistic trc-453 also but it has the 5 pin din plug on the side of the radio.. they are good little radios and are on ebay quite a bit.the last one saw sold for 153.00 on bids but usually cheaper on buy it now. I run the trc-453 and a uniden pc122 and both are nice talking am ssb radios. very nice receive aslso. not real noisy like newer radios.

Reactions: 3 people
Same thing I was going to post, uniden pc122. Great little radios that really do pack a punch on ssb and the audio is top notch IMO. Stays on frequency well from cold to warm.

I would 2nd the 122; nice radio in a small package, and if you want to spend some money on something more modern look perhaps into the Magnum 257. Check out cbradiomagazine.com for good reviews on both.

For the Uniden PC 122xl, don't be afraid to check out craigslist; you can find some great bargains there and, if the seller is local, it gives you a chance to get hands on as well and check it out. I picked mine up a while back off of CL; near mint with bracket, mic and user's manual for $25; that's what the guy wanted and I didn't have the hear to chisel. Many times what you find there are items being sold by people who had it laying around and either aren't comfortable with, or don't know how to use, ebay.

Last edited:
Yep I have found many good deals on cl. Just have to look around a bit. The magnum 257 is a good radio too, I run the 257hp in my mobile and talk around the world on 38lsb. Great bang for the buck if you can find them as they have discontinued making either model.

I have the Uniden 980 SSB and it is very close to those dimensions although I think it might be a little thicker(taller). Close to a din mount I think. One reason I got it was because of the small footprint. 7"x7" square and is strapped to the armrest between the front seats on a VW CC.

The PC122 are AMAZING little radios there alot of fun to play with being so little as said they pack a punch and without a power microphone ;)

257's are hard to find Just like everything Magnum.

I am using an Optima MK3. Same chassis as. The 257 but different. I actually really like this radio. Best receive I have ever had and Ive used a lot of radios. Fan. Heat sinc on regulator.

8-pin mic though. I installed an 8 pin end on my old road king and just hooked up 4 of the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dash mounted a 980 in my double din Tacoma hole with a single din stereo. I had to trim just a little on the sides and bottom. It's a little longer even with a 90* connector.

The one thing that has prevented me from getting a PC-122 is the lack of a mic gain control. That would not be an issue for most but it's a big disqualifier for me.

I just got a Magnum 257hp from GI JOES cb shop and from what I heard H&Y has them as well. This is a new shipment that just arrived last week or so, new for April 2014 don't think any changes were made. I will let you know when I get it as I have one now and this one will be the new base. Also picked up a uniden 980, not a bad radio, no power house by any means but you could add an rfx150 to the back with a couple of fans or just get a small RM ITALY amp and set the dead key to 1 watt, either way the 980 doesn't seem all that bad as of yet as far as I can tell, just not a power house, but it is smaller than a cobra 29 or similar radio. Like I said the magnum 257hp are available at the sites i listed. I listed the wrong place in another post and need to let them know where to get it as they were looking. The other radio would be the optima MK3, heard nothing but great things about them, guess in have had good luck with my 257 , it has taken a beating in my work van going down many unpaved roads to get to cell sites. Anyway just thought I would throw my 1 penny in. God bless and Happy Easter To All.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.