• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB, VHF, UHF, and GMRS all in one

FT-857 will indeed do HF, 6M (lowband VHF), 2M (high band VHF) and 70cm (UHF). What you need to operate it is a General class ham license. You won't be able to legally use it for 11M, MURS, GMRS, FRS etc. Which is fine because dedicated radios will do a better job of all those things anyway.
I would (did) get used commercial radios to do the MURS and GMRS thing. For CB, you can find lots of threads on this forum discussing the relative merits of just about any radio you can imagine. For trail use, there's nothing wrong with a cheap Cobra 19. I have two of them, and they work fine.

Even aside from the legal issue btw, you don't need 100 watts for trail communications. It gets you more hassles than advantages anyway. And I'm not even talking about the legal issue. I'm not saying 100 watts is difficult, it just makes waaaay less difference than just about everyone assumes. All the while creating 20 times the heat and running down your battery 20 times faster.

Reactions: BJ radionut
All are good points and I had looked into this several times. I think the biggest hurdle, which shouldn't be an issue anymore, is the amount of power allowed per frequency. I would think by now, there would be an all in one, ran by a micro computer that can handle all the power restrictions, while complying with the FCC regulations. In my Jeep TJ, I still run a Cobra-29 and have been thinking of GMRS. I don't see the point in HF for a Jeep, unless you really need to reach 100+ miles to talk to some one. Sure HF works great, but for some, getting a license is more of a hassle. Heck, for an aviation radio, you no longer need a license like you once did. I think you are better off using a CB & GMRS, unless like I said want to reach 100+ miles.

All are good points and I had looked into this several times. I think the biggest hurdle, which shouldn't be an issue anymore, is the amount of power allowed per frequency. I would think by now, there would be an all in one, ran by a micro computer that can handle all the power restrictions, while complying with the FCC regulations. In my Jeep TJ, I still run a Cobra-29 and have been thinking of GMRS. I don't see the point in HF for a Jeep, unless you really need to reach 100+ miles to talk to some one. Sure HF works great, but for some, getting a license is more of a hassle. Heck, for an aviation radio, you no longer need a license like you once did. I think you are better off using a CB & GMRS, unless like I said want to reach 100+ miles.
Hey Wing. You're missing the OP's point. He's saying it's not entirely his choice. Those in his group are operating across all of these bands and so he's wanting to be able to work all of the bands but with 1 radio and 1 antenna. And as I pointed out to him - that can be done.
You say no license needed for Aviation radio - are you sure about that? I missed that news release. I don't think that is correct. Have a link?

Reactions: Rwb
As a Former owner of a Yaesu 857D I would NOT suggest one even for my worst enemy.I rated it as the WORST Amateur Radio I have EVER owned or used hands down. The ATAS 120A was another Huge POS that I would Never suggest to anyone.I replaced the Yaesu FT-857D & ATAS 120A with an ICOM 7000 & a TARHEEL II & the difference was like turning On a very bright light in a totally dark room. They blew the Yaesu Garbage away with ease.The 7000 does all of those bands & it does it better than any radio ever produced in my opinion.I like the 7000 so well that I am now using the Fourth one that I have owned.You could Not Give me another 857D for FREE if I am required to actually Keep & Use it.Did I mention that the 857D is a Huge POS? AVOID it like the Plaque at all costs.

W4KVW
SIX-SHOOTER

No response from yesterday so I googled up my own answer. Imagine that. YES, there is no longer an individual FCC License for personnel INSIDE and aircraft, i.e. Pilot, when operating a Domestic Flight. A license is still required for Ground Stations.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.48.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.48.47 PM.png
    329.7 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: USXDriver and Rwb
@Wire Weasel @SIX-SHOOTER
What newer models would anyone on here recommend?
Yaesu 857D and ICOM 7000 are outdated and can't be purchased anymore.

Yaesu FT-891 and ICOM 7100 seem like some newer models but don’t know much about them or recommend places to purchase some of these units. Any suggestions?

Yaesu FT-891 and ICOM 7100 seem like some newer models but don’t know much about them or recommend places to purchase some of these units. Any suggestions?
Yeah okay ..... Actually I can't recommend that anyone buy a relatively sophisticated and expensive ham radio except for Ham Radio Operators who, with experience and knowledge of the hobby, will know how they work, what they're capable of doing and where to buy them.

Last edited:

I own an ICOM 7000 & if it fails I'll find another one because I have Zero desire to own any other mobile. I have owned (4) of them over the years & .it's the ONLY HF & beyond mobile I will ever use again. I had a Brand New Yaesu FT-891 & I never even put any power to it before I Sold it. I purchased it from an Estate from a SK who passed away before he got to use it. I Hate any touch screen radio so I would never consider an ICOM 7100 even for FREE for my use. There is NOT any New radio that I would own because they are all Touch Screen Radios except the 891 & my neighbor has one that he Won at a Hamfest or he would not own it either. Had I Won it I would have Sold it ASAP. I'll just keep buying another ICOM 7000 for my needs with Zero hesitation if needed. In my opinion nothing comes close in performance & dependability. The ICOM 7000 is the KING of mobile radios & Long Live The KING!

Yeah okay ..... Actually I can't recommend that anyone buy a relatively sophisticated and expensive ham radio except for Ham Radio Operators who, with experience and knowledge of the hobby, will know how they work and where to buy them.
:rolleyes:
I own an ICOM 7000 & if it fails I'll find another one because I have Zero desire to own any other mobile. I have owned (4) of them over the years & .it's the ONLY HF & beyond mobile I will ever use again. I had a Brand New Yaesu FT-891 & I never even put any power to it before I Sold it. I purchased it from an Estate from a SK who passed away before he got to use it. I Hate any touch screen radio so I would never consider an ICOM 7100 even for FREE for my use. There is NOT any New radio that I would own because they are all Touch Screen Radios except the 891 & my neighbor has one that he Won at a Hamfest or he would not own it either. Had I Won it I would have Sold it ASAP. I'll just keep buying another ICOM 7000 for my needs with Zero hesitation if needed. In my opinion nothing comes close in performance & dependability. The ICOM 7000 is the KING of mobile radios & Long Live The KING!
Thanks for the reply. Looking for a vehicle install hence why I'm looking at mobiles.

I have a good number of things about the ICOM and have been leaning towards a ICOM brand whether it be a 7 or 5 series.

What is wrong with the touch screens? Also how does the bluetooth / app connectivity work on your ICOM 7000? Its nice to be able to program via phone / computer for ease of use.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply. Looking for a vehicle install hence why I'm looking at mobiles.

I have a good number of things about the ICOM and have been leaning towards a ICOM brand whether it be a 7 or 5 series.

What is wrong with the touch screens? Also how does the bluetooth / app connectivity work on your ICOM 7000? Its nice to be able to program via phone / computer for ease of use.
When the touch screens start failing it will be mostly after the radios are no longer in production & no longer covered under the warranty so even locating a replacement could be a very expensive repair if you can even locate one. They have had several issues with some of the screens on the ICOM 7300 from what I have heard so later on that costs will be left up to the owners not the companies who built & sold them. If you like them then it's your money but I'm staying far far away from them.

When the touch screens start failing it will be mostly after the radios are no longer in production & no longer covered under the warranty so even locating a replacement could be a very expensive repair if you can even locate one. They have had several issues with some of the screens on the ICOM 7300 from what I have heard so later on that costs will be left up to the owners not the companies who built & sold them. If you like them then it's your money but I'm staying far far away from them.
But did you buy the extra deluxe extended warranty!? Just kidding.

Just cause this is what I have been looking at the past week, I would be interested to hear opinions on these radios as well. I do really like the color screen though, just adds a little spice to your day which I think is nice.

ICOM 7000
ICOM 7100
ICOM 5100A

Also I like the fact that there is a 7000 Mod, 7100 Mod, 5100 Mod. Cause who doesn't like to mod their hardware!?

I have not owned any ICOM's before but are there any overview videos someone might recommend. A lot of what I find on YouTube looks and sounds like it was recorded with a toaster. Be interesting to see things such as programming with the radio and a external device, tx power adjustments, standing wave ratios (SWR) with different antennas [anyone recommend any hardware meters btw?], etc.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated