• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CBTRICKS.COM History

well i may be incorrect but i think it started off as a yahoo group, and then the website with forum was created.

the yahoo group was full of great information, but it was hard to search and find it.
there were so many multi page tech arguments and CB myth debates that were fun to read and learn from.
LC

Bennie had a "personal" web site that his ISP at the time hosted for free. Pretty sure this is around 1998 or 1999. A free personal web page was included with a great many ISP hookups back then. Somewhere along the line he purchased the domain name cbtricks.com in the very-late 90s.

Before long the site grew past the size limit and he went whole hog. Rented what they called a "co-lo" or co located dedicated server hardware at a commercial hosting site. The host's identity changed a couple of times. As it grew, he offered CD-Rom compilations of the site. This evolved to DVD-Roms. He accepted contributions for "membership". This covered the cost of burning and shipping the disc collections every year or two.

As a side note, Bennie was kind enough to host my domains on his server for about 15 years.

Eventually his hosting provider went out of the data-center business and converted all its customers to "cloud" virtual hosting. Pretty sure that means they farmed it out. Bennie did not opt in for 'cloud' conversion.

But he had not moved cbtricks before they pulled the plug and it went dark while he came up with a new host. The bogus pay site (sites?) appeared while he was arranging the new host.

I guess he only paid for a year's worth. Haven't heard from him in person for years.

There is a problem now,...

Micro$ofts IE browser used to save the pages as MHT or complete page.

Saves them as HTM files when I needed to keep a good article.

Now, you're forced to use EDGE - which doesn't care for HTM - although it does process them - it's looking more for the newer JAVA - based scripting languages

Lost a lot of the files though thru this past 5 years...

Because of that one last upgrade Bennie did, the access to save the larger file image that the thumbnail showed - was lost - you could access the larger file size if you were in CBT forums because that tree was itself, one unit, for its registered members, but access thru the mht / htm file save routine saw restricted access - so only thumbs could be saved.

By the time I realized this - the Forums were gone, as many were saying, forever...

Again, lost a lot of good data because Bennie was trying to save CBT from being overrun by "bots" stealing the data, but the system he used crashed during the upgrade- as least it was what I was told.

Honestly guys - much of what we know now, is from the attempts at preservation of such data - for the data within the forums was better than any Datasheet could ever provide.

Here's one from Nomad - Pursuant to license of course:) - (I didn't ask for permission - but the reason why I kept the data is due to the tool he mentioned in another RECENT post here) ...

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/so-heres-a-tool-you-need-mike-socket-wrench.263339/

This is what made CBT so valuable - and sadly we took it for granted - not because of the data, but because of the way the data had to be kept, thru a host, and in many cases - you become hostage to the cost of keeping the data available for others.

upload_2022-1-17_10-38-6.png

upload_2022-1-17_10-39-40.png
upload_2022-1-17_10-40-53.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.