• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CDE Rotor Box and Rotor problems????

Mar 17, 2006
on top of the rotor where mast past sits in has a arrow
i assume this is for north or magnetic north?

ok so rotor is pointing north
i click brake then counter clockwise>>>> this should take me northwest then west around to south

then back at north again i click brake then clockwise>>>>> this should take me northeast then east then around south.

well it backwards

checked the outside 8 wire hookup
on rotor box
1 orange
2 orange white
3 brown
4 green white
5 green
6 blue
7 blue white
8 yellow

On Rotor

1 orange
2 orange white
3 brown
4 greenwhite
5 green
6 blue
7 blue white
8 yellow

any one see anything wrong yet

but when i have this rotor pointing north
i click brake and counterclockwise it goes East

then back at north i click brake and clockwise it goes west

any ideas or thoughts
where it could be backward

ok moved the box and rotor to other bench on north wall
the rotor turns in the proper direction
its the rotor box that shows the opposite direction

Are you SURE the rotator unit is turning the right direction and the control box is reading the opposite? I am quite familiar with that unit,I have two and have rebuilt a few, and I cannot figure how that would happen. The readout to the meter is a DC voltage and if the leads were reversed the meter should go backwards..................................................... Just had a thought. I wonder if the leads inside the rotator unit that connect to the wirewound pot for position indicating were reversed accidently. Has the unit ever had the pot replaced? It was common for them to go bad.I had to replace both of mine.If you take the rotator unit apart to check be VERY carefull getting the metal tab on the pot inserted properly into the slot inside the top of the rotator housing.

doubled checked it again
i brake right the rotor then it turns to the right
the meter on the box goes the left

when i brake left the rotor turns left but the box goes right

and removed some of the paint that was on the bottom of the rotor and its says
5 431

What is the position in the middle of the meter? North or South? Some units were configured for South center and it would appear that things were wrong when in fact they were not. It can be confusing using a South centered meter when you are used to a North centered unit.

have you tried to calibrate the meter movement? it could be 180 degrees out.
you may have the re set the endpoints also

there is an adjusting screw below the meter for calibration.

the left knod (pushed down) will set the endpoint

as far as the wireing goes, just connect 1 to1, 2 to 2, 8 to 8 ect

when you say the rotor "turns right" ... are you looking at it from the top or from the stationary bottom side. many rotors just sitting on the base and not bolted down, will appear to turn the wrong way because the bottom will turn, not the top.

CW is RIGHT when viewed from the BOTTOM
CCW is LEFT when viewed from the BOTTOM

Rotor box ??

HI- I too have the problem with the reverse reading meter. Same as above. Swapped in another known good box and the same . Now believe it to be at the tower end. Have a pot,like the one in the rotor bell,and will try to sub it at the desk end to be sure. WX in Michigan doesn't make for happy climbing this time of the year. Will get back with my finding . Jerry W8KQ

Ham 4

New report- Tried a different rotor box,this one known to be good. Same as B4- Now think has to be up top. have the pot out of a diff rotor. Going to try that and see what that shows. Too cold for tower work right now .Might add- That it at one time it did indicate correctly. I had replaced the fuse and diode in the meter circuit,and thought maybe i reversed something .Looks to be the same as another box I have ,but never used . Stay tuned ,will return ,Jerry

New report- Tried a different rotor box,this one known to be good. Same as B4- Now think has to be up top. have the pot out of a diff rotor. Going to try that and see what that shows. Too cold for tower work right now .Might add- That it at one time it did indicate correctly. I had replaced the fuse and diode in the meter circuit,and thought maybe i reversed something .Looks to be the same as another box I have ,but never used . Stay tuned ,will return ,Jerry

Check the terminal strip wiring on the rotor. I could be that it was replaced and the wires on terminals 3 and 7 were reversed. These connect to either end of the direction potentiometer. If swapping these two leads on the connecting wiring between the rotor and control box (on one end) fixes your mis-direction p;roblem then either this has happened or someone swapped the wires on the potentiometer itself.

Mis-direction?

This rotor did work right ,till maybe October,November? Had other things going on,so not sure just when I noticed it . First part of December,for sure as a friend moved to Florida and we chat every morning on 20 mtrs. Rotor and beam have been in the air since November of 2001. No problems till this showed up . Tomorrow I will try changing 3 and 7 to see if that makes any difference . Not expecting it to. More later,DE Jerry

Ok, more info. It was working fine but changed then. Maybe wires are touching? Doesn't make any since it was fine and then changed. Did you go through the procedure checking the wires to the rotator as far as ohm'ing them out? Something is screwy for sure. Let us know what you find................it sure sounds odd.

Ham 4` rotor box

HI,ALL- Am now really at a loss? Trimmed the tinned ends back a bit and put on stake-on ends . Now seems ok. Removed about 1/2 inch of tinned wire. Seemed to be no breaks ? Have to wait and seen if it stays the way it is now . Sure nice to have it turning the way it should. Jerry

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.