• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cell phone booster

Christopher17

LongStride
Apr 13, 2019
Anyone use one? my rural location in Central Texas doesn't have great cell coverage, at my mom's house she can't use her cell phone inside the house, I have done some product research, just wanted some feedback before spending that kind of money, any recommendations on this type of product is appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200716-115012~2.png
    Screenshot_20200716-115012~2.png
    537.2 KB · Views: 16

Anyone use one? my rural location in Central Texas doesn't have great cell coverage, at my mom's house she can't use her cell phone inside the house, I have done some product research, just wanted some feedback before spending that kind of money, any recommendations on this type of product is appreciated

I've never used one but one of my IT customers who lived out in the boonies did and he seemed to think highly of his booster. I have no idea what brand, etc. he used.

Out in the country here in N.C. also. No cell phone service. We bought a booster from Verizon. Works great as long as WiFi (from cable) is working.

Good cell service in house now with booster and outside for about 200’ radius around house. Cancelled the land line.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I have Verizon ,... they repacked the tower thats serves me, and I lost coverage at home.

After a few non productive calls to customer service, I got tired of the non-technical "service rep" and said I wanted to talk to a LEVEL 3 TECH.

The level 3 tech is the person that actually works with the tower coverage area.

The tech drove to my house and found the same thing I did,... the coverage absolutely stopped about 1/4 mile from my house and returned about the same after my house.
He agreed that I had coverage before the tower repack .

He gave me a coverage booster (that normally costs about $250) for free.
verizon-lte-network-extender-2-sls-bu10b-iset

Now I have every bar on my phone,... but, it needs an internet connection to work.

This is a favorite topic on RV & motorhome forums. The more expensive the rig, the more answers as to what works.

Reactions: S&W357
This is a favorite topic on RV & motorhome forums. The more expensive the rig, the more answers as to what works.

Yes and they going to recommend to get a Winegard Hotspot.

https://winegard.com/products/cellular/4g-lte-hotspots

SureCall and Wilson=(More expensive) works pretty good as long as you know how to point the external yagi antenna to the cell tower for your service provider and use the recommended cables

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
We don't have WiFi, use our smartphone for internet, the phone serves as a hotspot for the laptop when we can get service, the Wilson has been my favorite so far, pricy $$$

Our thermal hot springs resort is located in an area where there is no cell service. I shopped round for a signal booster, but either they required an internet connection (don't got) or cost mucho dinero.
I bought this setup from seller on ALIEXPRESS.
4G 70db booster amp - $38.00
Yagi receiving antenna - $12.00
Omni transmitting antenna ( 200 meter radius) - $9.95

booster.png

gsm antenna.png
dome.png

I set the yagi up on a 10' pole and aimed it toward the nearest cell tower (about 9 miles away. LED signal strength meter on the amp made getting it spot-on easy. Handles multiple callers at once. Less than $100 spent counting the connectors and coax I needed. 7 days from China to Colombia.

Take someone cashed out his California house and is working remote from a $140,000 Airstream towed by a $115,000 Porsche Cayenne.

He’s all over the Western USA. Average performance isn’t acceptable.

Or a man & wife, who, from Florida to Maine are traveling in a $1.5 million Newell motorcoach and keeping tabs on the family corporation.

One guy in one medium city may or MAY NOT have relevant performance data.

Someone who is on the road with business concerns is a whole other customer.

Many are techno-geeks. When they have too much money to play with it can be a fast, broad survey of current offerings.

Winegard is an old established name in RV products, not just TV antennas. But it’s a mistake to think what’s at Camping World is an accurate survey of all that’s out there in the world of travel.

I’d have included sailors, but port cities aren’t the same as being in Omaha.

Try

www.airforums.com

to start

Maybe it’s good. Maybe not.

Go out to the Permian Basin or the other oil/gas extraction regions and you’ll see hundreds of 304415 Wilson antennas on company pickups.

Does that make it best?

I bought my first one twenty years ago. They have a presence. Known reputation.

A long-time Wilson dealer in my area would have the vote over an online retailer with a here-today and gone-tomorrow product. Surecall may be fine. And maybe not.

The OP should take his time, is all.

None of these are inexpensive.

(I’d start with maybe replacing her phone if other brands/models are better. Or, a new battery never a bad idea).

CAIG DE-OXIT is step one in electronics performance where an external charger is needed.

Not to mention a SIM card removal and full phone reset after deletion of trash on the phone.

Run thru all the obvious “the TV won’t work if it’s not plugged in” stuff.

And there may be appliances or devices in the house interfering with the signal.

Reactions: unit_399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.