• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Central Electronics 200V Boat Anchor

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
I've been listening to a boat anchor net lately on 3.870, and there is a fella running a rig I had never even heard of until now. Apparently they are very rare... web site shows only 500 made back in 1959. He's running a Central Electronics 200V with a Drake R4C as the receiver. Man, does that rig sound sweet! Found some info on them here:
http://ce-multiphase.com/brochures.html
Video of a 200V in action:

And a 100V video here:

Brett

That's pretty high end stuff for a high school ham club! Very cool. (y)

Brett
This was, as I said, right at the start of the space race. A whole big bunch of money got distributed to high schools nationwide, and surplus military test equipment (TEKTRONIX O'SCOPES!) became readily available. The 200-V was a latecomer to the club station. Every one in the electronics class had work to do assembling Heathkits named after Indian tribes (Apache, Mohawk, Seneca ... you old-timers will read this and either laugh or cry!). They all worked just as expected, and we were on the air. The old DX-40 was given a decent funeral - the teacher took it home.

Reactions: 2RT307
This was, as I said, right at the start of the space race. A whole big bunch of money got distributed to high schools nationwide, and surplus military test equipment (TEKTRONIX O'SCOPES!) became readily available. The 200-V was a latecomer to the club station. Every one in the electronics class had work to do assembling Heathkits named after Indian tribes (Apache, Mohawk, Seneca ... you old-timers will read this and either laugh or cry!). They all worked just as expected, and we were on the air. The old DX-40 was given a decent funeral - the teacher took it home.
I was born in '63, and my Dad was in the Air Force. I remember he bought some books with fantastic photography from space... especially a shot from the space capsule back at Earth.

That sure must have been an exciting time to grow up! Those Heathkits are still around, and a lot of them were built so well, they still work today!

The 200V certainly fit into the era... it would be too cool to have a rig with a scope built in. I was fascinated by this rig as an adult, so I can imagine the impression it made on you as a kid. Very cool stuff!

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.