1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

CERTAIN HF$ NEVER HEARD ON 11METERS

Discussion in 'Worldwidedx.com Amateur Radio Club' started by Sonar, Jul 18, 2016.

1. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Blasphemy!

2. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I know i was being overly dramatic

3. Sonar

Sonar Sr. Member

It's coincidental you mentioned the Kenwood 570 sounding good on AM.
    There's a local who switches between a cobra 2000 and 570 (with the cheapest heil mic) on AM. And the 570 sounds excellent (on AM.)
    I always joke with him. Telling him I've no idea why he even uses the Cobra 2000 (on AM.) In actuality I'm not joking. The Kenwood 570 sounds so much better than the cobra 2000 (on AM.) It sounds so good that for a while I checked out the going prices for a used 570. He uses a heil ptt cb 11 as his push to talk studio mic switch along with the 570. I'm sure one could find a nice 570 for $500. I once asked him to switch the 570 over to ssb and believe it or not I didn't like the way it sounded at all. But on AM it sounds superb. I suspect switching the 570 from AM to SSB without making some adjustments to the transceiver is why it didn't sound good on SSB. If a Kenwood 570 has the capabilities of sounding as good on SSB as it does on AM (and I suspected it does) anyone looking for an HF transceiver that sounds good on AM should look at the 570. After a little research I did discover that the Kenwood 570 DG was an improved 570. The difference between the prices from the 570 to the 570 DG where substantial if I recall. Possibly $300 more for the DG. 73

#48 Sonar, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  4. oldtymer

oldtymer Active Member

The first 570's lacked some menu options for the DSP & TX & RCV audio adjustments.
    Kenwood later upgraded them for $25.00 . The 570 DG version had the upgraded firmware. The 570S version has 6 meters also and was about $250.00 more if bought new.
    The op you are referring to is probably using the wrong menu, mic gain or processor
    settings when using ssb As good as they sound on AM they are equally sweet on ssb
    if properly adjusted.
    They are available on the used market from $450-$550 depending on model and
    condition. I recently sold mine locally to a friend who now has two of them. When I asked him why He wanted another one his reply was" I know where this one came from & they don't make them anymore. In case something happens to mine a spare is nice
    to have"
    I recently had bought a mint TS-480 SAT from a local that I know & that is my daily driver now.
    PS Either one is also a superb FM rig if you enjoy that mode

Marconi and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  5. RetroGrouch

RetroGrouch New Member

No, BAD for them, GOOD for Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, Flex, and others who will be splitting the million$ in profits Elecraft won't be getting from old fart SSBers who will never pick up a licensing manual but just want to chat a few fishing stories at 5:00am, or the other 88% of Hams (besides you & your genre of course) who want to join them on one rig they love for 2m/6m-160m.

6. Gypsy707

Gypsy707 New Member

The 718 with all the options installed is a respectable rig on any budget. Often underestimated.

7. Gypsy707

Gypsy707 New Member

Lots of Alincos have been opened up and used on Citizens Band less Ten-Tecs because a large majority of the mobile and budget Ten-Tecs specifically did not include Ancient Mariner modulation and some had cumbersome notch filtering to preclude 11M operation. Ten-Tec was a very high quality rig. I agree with the post that said how would you know what they’re running because smart CBers don’t advertise that they’re using ham gear.