1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

CERTAIN HF$ NEVER HEARD ON 11METERS

Discussion in 'Worldwidedx.com Amateur Radio Club' started by Sonar, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Sonar

Sonar Sr. Member

I've heard so many hf's on 11 meters but never heard the Ten Tec or Alnico.
    Is there a particular reason for this?

2. fourstringburn

fourstringburn W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM

Don't be to sure you haven't already. Not everyone likes to mention their equipment on 11 meters.

On the Ham bands, it's just the opposite.

Tentecs are good radios while Alinco's are considered to be the poor man's HF radio. I own one for a spare and that's all it's good for.

3. midnight special

midnight special Well-Known Member

i have heard several on 11 meters using alinco dx 70,,, and here a while back a guy was bragging he was using a alinco dx 10 on 38lsb

222DBFL likes this.
  4. wavrider

wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

if the rig will go to 11 meters chances are good it has, will, and is being used there on occasions.

222DBFL likes this.
  5. Sonar

Sonar Sr. Member

How'd it sound compared to the big three?

6. 222DBFL

222DBFL Sr. Member

The DX10 is more like an export radio. It is a clone of one of the many that have the same type board I think. They added their stuff to it and refined it so to speak and sell it as a low end 10m beginner radio I believe. I would venture to say it won't be as good as a true HF radio. Like apples to oranges!!!

7. 222DBFL

222DBFL Sr. Member

The DX70 is an HF radio. I have heard a couple of those on air on 38lsb and they didn't sound bad by any means. I don't know what others look for as far as sound goes, but I like a normal on frequency speaking person, no reverb and added bs. I want to know what you sound like if I were to meet you in person so to speak. Everyone likes a different sound from a radio I suppose. This is just what I prefer. As close to real as possible! A stock mic and the right settings are all that is needed!! JMHO.

8. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Agreed!

9. BBB

BBB Well-Known Member

The Alinco DX 10 is a rebadged CRE8900. It does very well on 11 meters as it was designed to do ;)

10. DainBramage

DainBramage Well-Known Member

Actually, for a MOBILE radio, the DX SR8T is a viable choice, 100 watts, easy to operate while mobile, detachable face, and the price is right.

http://www.alinco.com/Products/ham/hf/DX-SR8/

Did I say that the price was right ?

11. fourstringburn

Well ...yes. But,

The VFO is very loose and sloppy and there is no adjustment. You have to use the VFO to make large adjustments then lock it, then use the up/down buttons from there. Otherwise the VFO will drift especially being bounced around when used as a mobile.

There is no true variable power, just preset selections for two QRP levels and full QRO. It can be modded internally for 50 watts only so an amp can be run.

The radio is rather large for a mobile, much larger than the pics portray it to be, Yes the separation kit is nice and can be useful in mobile ops but again it is kind of big and wide.

I got the radio in trade for a screwdriver antenna I had and I have this radio put aside just as a spare. Other than that, I wouldn't have bought one outright.

Other than that, the menu settings are limited but there is some useful settings there and there is a basic IF filter.

Like I posted earlier, The Alinco's are considered a poor man's HF radio.

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  12. w9cll

Some of us are poor, have families, other financial commitments and spending $1500 for a rig is a huge expense. Rigs like the Alinco and the Icom 718 are viable options to buying used if someone wants new. Yes they have their faults but ones that can be lived with.

13. fourstringburn

You're correct!

I just wanted to point out why I said Alinco radios, particularly the one I have, is a poor mans HF. There is a general disdain for Alincos in the Amateur community to the point where I know of a HF service center that won't work on them. To be fair, I have heard them on the airwaves and they sound just fine. In fact most people would give them a good report unless they knew ahead of time that it was an Alinco.

The 718 would be a far better choice in the new or used market, or better yet, the Yaesu 450D IMHO.

14. w9cll

Agreed

15. DainBramage

DainBramage Well-Known Member

You missed the entire point.

my comment was about using it as a MOBILE radio.

It IS a cheap radio, if it gets bounced around, stolen, ect, it isn't a major loss, they are less than $500 new.

99% of my mobile operations are on a set freq with people that I already know, put the info into the memory and yack away. the vfo has a lock that is easily activated with a button push.

unlike 'certain" big 3 models with detachable faces, the speaker is in the head, not the body, mount that big ol body in the trunk and use the detachable head and speaker wherever you want to mount it.