• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

chance to get a great deal on a damaged drake... so what do all think?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
I have a friend with a drake l4-b
He believes that the power supply is dead, most likely in need of new rectifiers

Basically what happened is some furry woodland creature chewed up his coax and shorted them from shield the center conductor... he did not realize this and keydown, well long story short (lol short) it gave up the ghost and the smoke

he tells me if the tubes are dead he will give me a NEW set to replace them, if the transformer is dead he will give me my money back if I want it

He is asking $366

So... should I? What do you think would be dead based on this description?

yes it is worth it.

I have a friend with a drake l4-b
He believes that the power supply is dead, most likely in need of new rectifiers

Basically what happened is some furry woodland creature chewed up his coax and shorted them from shield the center conductor... he did not realize this and keydown, well long story short (lol short) it gave up the ghost and the smoke

he tells me if the tubes are dead he will give me a NEW set to replace them, if the transformer is dead he will give me my money back if I want it

He is asking $366

So... should I? What do you think would be dead based on this description?

I guess its all about perception/marketing. Here's what I read.

"Hey bro, I got a nice amp, only driven on sundays, I wants to be sellin it. Great amp, just don't work."

"I THINK all it be needin is recticators because a critter done ate all da insides up but I dunno cause I aint no tech. Since you ain't neither Ill sell this to you for $366. "

"Sure, I'l refund your money on this cash transaction for a 30+ year old broken ham radio amplifier."

If I said I had a 38 year old car for sale and all it needed was possible engine work BUT it was made by a real famous maker and the tires were good and Id sell it for half what it cost new...Would you buy it?

Seriously?

You could build a new box, probably easier using some russian tubes and American know-how for maybe $650 and have a box that does more than 1500w pep all day long. Yes even multiband it.

I dunno man, nothing in radio is ever what it seems. Especially with broken equip.

You overlooked one valuable point of his post. He said it was his "friends".

New tubes if that's the problem. Money back if it's the transformer. How can he go wrong? I like friends like that. That's how I treat my friends.

Yes, he could build or buy something else, but I think he already knows that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I guess its all about perception/marketing. Here's what I read.

"Hey bro, I got a nice amp, only driven on sundays, I wants to be sellin it. Great amp, just don't work."

"I THINK all it be needin is recticators because a critter done ate all da insides up but I dunno cause I aint no tech. Since you ain't neither Ill sell this to you for $366. "

"Sure, I'l refund your money on this cash transaction for a 30+ year old broken ham radio amplifier."

If I said I had a 38 year old car for sale and all it needed was possible engine work BUT it was made by a real famous maker and the tires were good and Id sell it for half what it cost new...Would you buy it?

Seriously?

You could build a new box, probably easier using some russian tubes and American know-how for maybe $650 and have a box that does more than 1500w pep all day long. Yes even multiband it.

I dunno man, nothing in radio is ever what it seems. Especially with broken equip.

I guess that's the difference between a friend offering to sell another friend a ham amplifier and [slash] a CBer [/slash] someone wanting to sell a cheap assed rat infested no-name amp they had stored in a barn. :whistle:
I wish someone would offer me that same deal. The key point in the deal is it being a friend and not just "someone".

Reactions: 1 person
mr_fx, only you know the integrity of the seller but, for that price and what amounts to a money back guarantee, I would be working on my new Drake.(y)

I guess that's the difference between a friend offering to sell another friend a ham amplifier and [slash] a CBer [/slash] someone wanting to sell a cheap assed rat infested no-name amp they had stored in a barn. :whistle:
I wish someone would offer me that same deal. The key point in the deal is it being a friend and not just "someone".

Hey there Lord Kilowatt, you may want to read the forum rules before you start using foul language and degrading innuendos towards the CBer persons as you call them, seems they do hold the highest post count per forum on the board.

Hey there Lord Kilowatt, you may want to read the forum rules before you start using foul language and degrading innuendos towards the CBer persons as you call them, seems they do hold the highest post count per forum on the board.

Foul language?? WHERE? Degrading innuendos? again WHERE? The guy is a ham being offered a ham amp by a friend presumably another ham. The post by linearone made it sound as if it was akin to a great many "deals" often found on Ebay from a shady ....well yes CBer that abused the snot out of the amp.

As for the rest of your post, I don't know what your problem with me is but if you have a legit complaint take it up with the owner or another admin off board and keep it off the main forum.I suspect it is because of the Snake Radio threads and if so grow up and drop it. If not then explain it to another admin or myself in a PM. And in further correspondence please use my screen name and not whatever name you decide to use just because it seems to fit your warped and inaccurate assumption of who I am and what I am like. Two can play the "letter of the law" game when it comes to rules BTW. So now my suggestion to you is to decide just what you want to do.

Foul language?? WHERE? Degrading innuendos? again WHERE? The guy is a ham being offered a ham amp by a friend presumably another ham. The post by linearone made it sound as if it was akin to a great many "deals" often found on Ebay from a shady ....well yes CBer that abused the snot out of the amp.

As for the rest of your post, I don't know what your problem with me is but if you have a legit complaint take it up with the owner or another admin off board and keep it off the main forum.I suspect it is because of the Snake Radio threads and if so grow up and drop it. If not then explain it to another admin or myself in a PM. And in further correspondence please use my screen name and not whatever name you decide to use just because it seems to fit your warped and inaccurate assumption of who I am and what I am like. Two can play the "letter of the law" game when it comes to rules BTW. So now my suggestion to you is to decide just what you want to do.

Captain Kilowatt, Foul language ? Here > "cheap assed rat infested no-name amp"
Degrading innuendos? Here > " a CBer someone wanting to sell a cheap assed rat infested no-name amp they had stored in a barn".
My warped and inaccurate assumption?...Not nice and possibly a personal insult.

I will no longer correspond in this thread as I will be corresponding with another admin as instructed, If I am able to correspond at all:glare:. It has little to do with the Snake thread but..it helped.

My sincere apologies to you mr_fx for the destruction of your thread. Did you buy that Drake yet? Seems like an offer you can't refuse.

OK, let me rephrase my post...

It is a possible 40+ year old amp that is broken.......

How does it have value again?

If it is just a simple set of diodes, AWESOME! you will be on air in no time for no money. Then, a few months down the road... *sniff* Whats that oily tar burning smell.. Did the combo transformer melt a winding or two? Dang, where to get one of those now? What bout switches etc? Meters?

Yes it is a well enough designed 40+ year old amp.
So is a 1968 VW. You wouldn't want to buy one to put into regular commuter service though so why waste money on an amp to do just that? Serious question here. Just think about it using real logic and not old hamster's fuzzy memories of drakes when they were new and the operators were young. Our sentimental side always clouds honest perspective.

Captain Kilowatt, Foul language ? Here > "cheap assed rat infested no-name amp"
Degrading innuendos? Here > " a CBer someone wanting to sell a cheap assed rat infested no-name amp they had stored in a barn".
My warped and inaccurate assumption?...Not nice and possibly a personal insult.

"Ass" isn't considered "foul" language here or in 99.9% of the rest of the free world. That other .1% might be in the Vatican, but I'm guessing probably not there, either.

You missed the point of the the CBer comment - he was comparing the difference between an amp that your friend is offering you and something found on ebay that you can't trust. I guess the metaphor was lost on some readers.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated