• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Channel Selector ribbon cable

Smokinone

WDX-3820
Jun 24, 2020
Southern Nevada
I've been playing around with a Royce 611 that was my late dad's. So far I've recapped it, which hasn't brought it back to life, still just have static at the speaker in PA or CB mode that doesn't respond to volume control, no RX or TX yet. Been sitting in a garage for 30 years.

But I am at the point now of having the channel selector sometimes lighting up all the LED display digits, and sometimes not. The cable connecting the display to the main board is shot, stiff and deteriorated to the point the wires are breaking free from the insulation, which is extremely stiff. Does any one know of a 14 wire, possibly more flexible replacement wire? It is about 1 1/2" wide, and about 0.0125 spaced wires.

Not sure if this is the problem with the radio, but it's along the way. Not a high value radio at all, but I though I might try and get it going to maybe put it in my nephews 59 Apache pickup if I can ever get it going. He's pretty sentimental about his grandfather. It's sure been a pain as daughter boards had to be removed to even get the caps changed.

Thanks.

selector cable_b.jpgselector cable_a.jpg

royce-1.jpgroyce-3.jpgroyce-2.jpgroyce-4.jpg

I've got an old cobra 29 that still has the ribbon connectors, I'll count to see how many wires/traces are through it. Maybe?

How long is it?
I think it's about 6" or so long. It's still in the radio so hard to tell.
I ordered some BNTECHGO 28 Gauge Silicone Ribbon Cable Flexible 10P. I'll have to pull a 4 pin section off and add it to make the 14 pin configuration.
SRW28-50FT-10P-1__55939.jpg

The problem with a lot of the IDE type and other ribbon cables I've been looking at is the spacing and the width. A lot of them would be about 3/4 of an inch wide or so, and the original is 1 1/2 inches wide.

Thanks

Last edited:
Just a quick search yielded these and they're 14 conductors as well.
View attachment 66773View attachment 66774
Thanks, I did look at that as well. I get really confused with the metric measurements. Guess being taught in SAE most of my learning period in life, it's hard to grasp the whole metric thing. I don't know why we went to a European standard anyway, but that's another topic.
For what I could gather in some of the feedback on some of those cables is that they were too narrow and small, as well as being difficult to separate the individual wires...which I have run into in the past. I wish there were more places to go and actually put hands on to see what the heck I'm looking at. Online convenience is sometimes a barrier.

Got any old IDE cables from the days before SATA drives? You can easily peel 14 off one of those and save a few bucks.

I know the cobra 25 had 14 wires.
I went out into the garage to have a look around for my old cables. I think I may have had a moment of being tired of looking at all the junk I had and have laying around and tossed them.
I have moments of just being frustrated trying to find things I know I have, and just filling the trash can up with what ever is in my way. Then I end up looking for what I tossed again. My wife usually reminds me of those moods when I am looking as well...
I may have to get with Eldorado828 and take him up on his generosity before it's all done with. I think the 10P cable should be here on Sat.
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. They are really appreciated more than you know.

I went out into the garage to have a look around for my old cables. I think I may have had a moment of being tired of looking at all the junk I had and have laying around and tossed them.
I have moments of just being frustrated trying to find things I know I have, and just filling the trash can up with what ever is in my way. Then I end up looking for what I tossed again. My wife usually reminds me of those moods when I am looking as well...
I may have to get with Eldorado828 and take him up on his generosity before it's all done with. I think the 10P cable should be here on Sat.
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. They are really appreciated more than you know.
I know I regret every time I go into clean up mode.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.