• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Check out these spec.'s and tell me if this is reasonable???

ElectronTubesRule

Sep 6, 2011
Ok I am looking for a 450V Electrolytic Cap with not less the 30uF capacitance to replace some 30++++ year old Cornell Dublier paper caps in a rectifier board that are blistering even though they are still amazingly testing out as good. Only a matter of time before they give way. My problem is the caps with the smaller dimensions for diam and length are listing at a higher rated capacitance @ same voltage. Just wanted to make sure this was not out of the norm? I have been gone for a long time from consumer level electronics and there are names I do not recall ever seeing before and the ones I remember are not in business or they have dropped a lot of their old line to focus on industrial only type stuff.Voltage

First specs are as follows: Brand, ELUM
450 V
Capacitance 100 uF
Quantity 2 pcs
Tolerance ±20%
Temperature -40℃ ~+105℃
Diameter * Height 18 X 36 MM

The second set of spec.'s: Brand, Rubycon

Capacitance = 47uf
Voltage =450V
Tolerance = 20%
Temperature = 105ºc
Diameter = 22 mm
Height = 40 mm

So the second listing is physically larger in diameter and length but 1/2 the capacitance???

These are both axial types for the record. I only need 2 of them for the circuit but it struck me as odd that one brands would be physically smaller but have well over 2X the capacitance @ same voltage ???? I am used to a little variation from brand to brand but not smaller and over 2X more capacitance. That just seemed like too much of a good thing to be true? So my alarm bells where ringing. So far I have been happy with a Webster brand Cap to replace my 500V Cornell Dublier ones. Only time will tell if they last as long and work as well but they tested out as rated so not more you can hope for then that! Oh but it took a month with their free shipping to get to me..... Hard to go wrong though @ $5 with free shipping for a 500V 100uF cap that I can not find in stock any place in Michigan with in 3 hours one way from my door!

I did try joining easy to come by 450V and 63V caps but the space this bad boy has to fit is so tight that it just was not a good fit. I even tried relocating the caps and running shielded cables to the old spot. They simply did not leave any space on the underside of the RF deck unused and air flow would have been non-existent and seeing how these are directly off the center tap going into the rest of the circuits and the rectifier I thought heat might be an issue. So that is why I ordered 500V 100uF caps. Unfortunately my 100uF 450V Teflon Caps are Monster's size wise and would not fit where I needed it to fit. Seeing how this is a sweep tube amp I really did not want to have any long runs of cabling even shielded. I was unsure how much RF is leaking in this unit. This unit really does not have any long wire runs on the RF Deck Side and I figured that was on purpose. I have seen really bad things happen on radio's when people had long wire runs picking up RF and dumping it back into the circuit some place it was not wanted. So I just decided I would order the right part for the job size wise. So now I could put the parts back where they belong. Amazing how little space their is to work with in a unit that takes up as much space on your desk or under it as 1 1/2 show box's. Most of that is air space though not actual real-state you can use! I felt like I was trying to put 10lbs. of sugar in a 5lbs. sugar bag.....It was like playing with a Rubic Cube!!LOL No matter what I did I could not package the larger parts in a way that maintained the appearance of OEM parts lay out. I would have had to basically redo everything to fit the larger caps in this unit my common sense over rode my desire to be frugal after a few hours of drawing and redrawing the layouts and visualizing the parts in space........It only took 3 days and about 3 hours each day of trying before I final gave up and went on the internet to get the right size packaged parts!!!LOL

That is huge leap for me to give up that quickly! I am losing some steam in my old age....I think as I seem my time on this earth getting shorter each day I think I can better spend my time on things then trying to fit parts that are too big into a space that is too small!LOL

ive got some that are beefier then that by far, 470ufd x 450vdc.
they came out of some test lasers that werent put into production but are basically new. i think theres 30-40 on the board. they have short leads but you could solder them into a board as they now are or add some leadwire.
5 bucks each plus ship is fine.
these are 2 inches tall by 1 1/4 inch diameter. the brand looks like an M with a box around it
the more capacitance the better for a voltage doubler supply. it gives it more reserve but you will have to beef up the rectifier diodes to handle the inrush current and a soft start is a good idea to. if you have room somewhere else you could series 2 caps in place of 1 and have 900vdc headroom which would enable them to last 5-10 times longer. maybe an outboard aluminum project box with 4 of them for 900v per leg and 235ufds each pair or 8 of them for 470ufds x 900vdc for a ton of headroom.
when you series caps of equal ufds you half the ufds but the vdc is addative for anyone that dont already know
i traded for these because i thought they would be perfect for a kw amp build

The little caps I am talking about here are for a tiny 200watt sweep tube amp. It was sold as a 6m/10m amp but I can only imagine how not deficient it is on 6m....LOL I am working on fixing that. It will be true HF all band all mode when I am done with it. The little caps for it have to fit on the rectifier board between diodes and caps and diodes.I am going to venture a guess that when they designed it and built it 450V 30uF paper caps where a dime a dozen. So for these replacements I have to have it in a fairly short package so it fits on the board two of them that is sandwiched between diodes and tiny little radial caps and more diodes.

I have 25 of those Teflon 100uF 450V caps so if I really needed to use more then 12 I could easily use more. Those are specifically for the Amp I am building from scratch. I thought. Thanks for the offer though I will keep that in mind.

Do you really think I need more then (12) 450V 100uF caps for filtering? I can always double it easy enough but thought that would be over kill. Keep in mind I am new to the game!!LOL

I allways thought the bigger the supply the better to keep the plate voltage up to max for max power out but at some point you have to say thats enough. i was thinking it was more like a dna or a palomar350

No it is a Kris Power Pump. It is a 1 driving 2 set up. It has a 6JG6A driving 2 6LQ6 tubes. As it stands I have doubled it's amount of filtering already and when done every electrolytic will have double the capacitance it had before since I am replacing ancient paper caps with modern aluminum caps.I am thinking about replacing all the ceramic caps because the yellow plastic like paint on the outside that keeps them from soaking up moisture from the air is cracking on all of them and wearing off due to age. It is a beautiful little amp just needs some TLC due to age.

I am going to redesign the input tuning so it can truly be a broad band HF amp. This way it can be used with any mobile HF rig with transistorized finals and always have a great match. I would like it to cover all the HF bands. Their are plenty of old single or dual band radio's or transverter's and such that could take advantage of a 200 watt amp that did not need 50+ watts of drive. Plus this way no one can call it a CB Class D black market amp. It is a clean little amp well laid out and solid deign for what the market it was truly intended to sell to.

Plus I want my son to learn how to properly care for and tune up an amp that is not that expensive and not that powerful. Their is reason most kids started out with BB guns or rim fire rifles and not huge monster sized magnum's! LOL Same idea with this Amp. This way when he moves up to a legal limit amp he will already have good habits learned on a much cheaper, much lower cost amp.

Also on side band I find that with a good antenna if propagation conditions are right you can make a lot of contacts with a little 200 watt amp! This also means that as he get's older I can move up the power spectrum as gifts....Something for him to work towards. I need to get a decent scope at some point I feel naked with out one. I got spoiled my first time in college I used the Universities stuff.

The electrolytic capacitor is a component that has shrunk it physical size considerably over the years. This is the result of improved insulating material between the rolled up metal plates. The rating and sizes you are seeing are normal and may vary slightly from one manufacturer to the next. You also should not have to worry about any low pass filters on a tube amp. That is one of the advantages of tubes. That plate tune knob on the front with the Pi or better yet the Pi/L tank circuit offers a good deal of harmonic rejection.

and he could put a manual antenna tuner in line to if he needed more filtering. i was thinking transistors because i was reading a different forum to.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.