• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CHINA!!!! transistors!

I get the mb3756 voltage regulators IC's for cobra 148's and their 7222 audio amps IC's from China - and they all work just fine. Even bought the Motorola 145106 PLL IC from China, and they all worked perfect.

Bought some transistors that also are up to spec too. But NOT all of them. The ones that are fakes are the 2sc1969, 2166, 1306, and 1307 final/driver transistors. Those are the ones that are always fake. Be wary of the 2SB817 too; they can go either way.

Yeah I bought a bunch of 2166, 2312, 1969 and 1869. They were dirt cheap so what the hell. All of them save one 1869 were dead. Now I did get some 1945's for a President that were good, but that's been it. Have had much better luck with stateside distributors on eBay with their transistors. And ya gotta watch that too, some knockoffs say they're based in country.

Yes I always tell people that the Chinese can and will build what ever you ask for. If you want a good part you can get them but most people want cheap parts. What is really hard to get from China is good quality control. Yes out computer's, phones, stereos, automotive electronics, shocks and struts, bearings etc... are mostly made in China.

In fact the only reason to use Mouser, Digi-Key, RF Parts etc...is that they become the middle man weeding out the counterfeit parts versus the real parts from China, India, Korea, Philippines etc....

Oh and it is always better if you can order right from the OEM factory!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Here I go kicking an other dead horse (old thread). A few years back I bought up what was left of an old cb shop in the next town over. Well in the mix I ran into a good stash of Mitsubishi 2sc1969's. I finally got around to laying them out and just as most of us here I'm a little skeptical, suspicious or maybe paranoid of them not being genuine as we all know fakes flooded the market several years back. By looks comparing them to original pulls from stock rci built radios they look identical, the package, dimensions, markings etc. So I figured I'd see what the hfe's look like and I see they're all pretty close. Just as I was feeling comfortable I checked hfe on a few of the original pulls I have and 2 of them originals were quite different from one another with one of those being close to the NOS ones that I acquired. I'm seeing hfe's of 75 to around 90 at most with the acquired and around 75 with the used ones but a couple that were around 35 and keep in mind these came from working radios. To those of you experienced techs, what should be ballpark on these? I know that won't be the true reveal of real or counterfeit but just another observation for me to make. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
How do you track down real replacement Eleflows? A year or so ago I tried to nose around in that direction but got lost..... just seemed confusing somehow.

One sure way to find out if they are fakes, is to make you own simple test jig with a known good radio and a dummy load, since you have so many to test . . .
Googling around last night I saw a video of a guy that used an upside down radio with some adapters to test some transistors using that test rig idea. I don't currently have an old radio with bipolar so maybe I'll shop around for a junker to use for that. I just want to see if what I have here is in fact real. I've got about roughly pieces here.

Fake transistors are all over the place now Toshiba 2879s Toshiba 2290s just like Mitsubishi 1969s 2166s 2312s. Ebay seems to be the hotbed of the fake transistors.

These I have here came from a closed down cb shop and the bags were just mixed in with boxes full of other components. I have no reason to believe they are fakes but again I have to investigate. So anybody on what the hfe's should be? Ballpark

I guess I have been lucky I have used the Ebay 1969 finals and they have worked for me everytime. I tested a old 1969 got HFE-44 and UF-648 mv the ones from ebay were HFE-171 and UF-623 mv. I am not a tech but these are the readings I got.
Is that a Nam era 105 Self Propelled Howitzer? Aluminum turret with a GM Diesel with a GMC-671 blower?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.