• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chinese Clone???

Funny, I was just talking to Mad Scientist about these mics just the other day. I vaguely remember Telex coming out with that design originally, and it never really took off. That was back in the late 70's/early 80's. Then I saw Superstar was making them. The ad for the second one you posted shows new old stock, so I have to wonder if they weren't made around the same time. You can still find the Superstar ones around for about 15 bucks. You don't see electret power mics very often, that's for sure. Might be fun to try one on my Uniden 520XL just for grins.

RT307

I won the auction on that JMR mic. I should have it in a few days. I also bought one of those Superstar mics a couple years ago. I really liked how it felt in my hand. They are nice and heavy and have a good soft, supple rubber cord.

The Chinese mic had fairly decent audio reports. The threads that held the battery cover were partially stripped. I wouldn't mind getting another onr to play with. I'm thinking of trying the JMR mic on my 8900 first, then maybe my kenwood.

Last edited:
I won the auction on that JMR mic. I should have it in a few days. I also bought one of those Superstar mics a couple years ago. I really liked how it felt in my hand. They are nice and heavy and have a good soft, supple rubber cord.

The Chinese mic had fairly decent audio reports. The threads that held the battery cover were partially stripped. I wouldn't mind getting another onr to play with. I'm thinking of trying the JMR mic on my 8900 first, then maybe my kenwood.

I'm pretty sure Mad Scientist has put his on a Kenwood TS-430S, is getting good reports, and likes it a lot.

RT307

Got the JMR mic the other day. Completely NOS from 1978.

Crazy thing even had the original 7 volt battery in it. I was amazed that it did not leak and lay waste inside. Haven't wired it up yet, but hope it still works.

I'm pretty sure Mad Scientist has put his on a Kenwood TS-430S, is getting good reports, and likes it a lot.

RT307

Yes Brett, I was using it on the Kenwood and got allot of good reports with it. It seems to be a really decient mic. I reciently finished retrofitting an old astatic minuiteman II d104 for the Kenwood and I am getting good reports with that also. I am being told that they can't tell the difference.

I couildn't seem to find an impedance rating for that superstar mic, and I am wondering if it is a low impedance mic?

I had one of those JMR mics back in the day. Loved the look and idea but it sucked - didn't sound good. Could have been a poor match with the radio I had it on but anyway it didn't work. Don't remember anyone have good luck with them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.