• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chinese Cobra 29 Classic Question

KD8HMO

Aug 3, 2008
Kalida, Ohio
www.protrucker.net
Im messing around with a new cobra 29 and Im trying to just do a transmit alignment from the service manual. To get 4 watts deadkey, I have to take the core of VR14 out to the very last thread, basically too far to leave in. Does this have to come all the way out? Also, are there any bias adjustments for this radio? The manual from their site is very vague. Also, after peaking the amp stages, will i be able to hit 100% modulation and leave the limiter intact? This radio kinda sucks compared to a Galaxy.

Not sure what model you are referring to but this is what I do with the 21,,25,,29,,ltd

Locate D8,, located in front of power connection right rear of radio just behind the modulation transformer,,Solder in 2 or 3 more rectifier diodes to lower the dead key to what you want it to be,

It will still allow full output when modulated.

DO NOT REMOVE any limiter or cut the cap or diode in the modulation circuit.
You will be able to achieve 100% modulation without butchering the rig.

Align the radio in accordance with the manual.

The radio will produce LOUD and CLEAN audio without splatter assuming you know what you are doing and have the test equipment to align it correctly.

As far as Galaxy radios??? I think there is a whole section on CB tricks site dedicated to the problems and issues of about every radio galaxy produced.

The cobra is a tried and true chassis, many 30 year old radios still in service today.
Loggers that drive through the dirt roads and rough terrain put cobra 29 in their truck, they hold up to the brutal conditions, galaxy board cracks if you even think about hitting a bump in the road,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.