1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Chirp and windows 8

Discussion in 'MURS / FRS / GMRS' started by Radio Tech, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Radio Tech

Radio Tech Radio Operator

Has anyone got chirp working on windows 8?
    If so what driver did you use?
    I am trying to set up my laptop to program some baufeng radios for FRS and that would make it portable,

2. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member

You've got to use an old driver for the USB Comm cable, otherwise I never get it to work.
    Then every time W8.1 updates it will change it out and must be reload to your specific COM PORT...
    There's a link to the site with instructions here on the site somewhere

maybe this one: http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

Otherwise CHRIP works great...
    Had to get it going again to program the(2) GT-3 Mark II's...
    I gave as Christmas presents to my Nephew and my nieces husband. (trying to plant some new hams seeds!;))
    Follow directions to the letter and it will work fine...save driver to DOC files...you'll need it again! (also bought new POFUNG UV-82L...for me):LOL:
    All the Best
    Gary/W9FNB
    Merry Christmas

3. Radio Tech

Ok, I will give it another shoot. Works fine on xp and W7. Thanks and Merry Christmas

4. Robb

Robb Yup

I use the Vista Prolific driver on W7; dunno if it will work on W8.
    Probably.

Attached Files:

5. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

Yep, I've used it on Win 8.1, as well. Robb is right; you've got to get the right driver for your cable - the prolific 3.2.0 is the right one for most of the chinese usb/serial cables.

6. Radio Tech

Ok, I will give the one Robb posted a shot.
    See if I can get it to work. I bought a used laptop a few months ago from a gent and never used it. Thought I load Chirp on it instead of the win 8 laptop. The other laptop has Win 7 on it. After booting it up for the second time I find it has a pirate cope of Win 7 on it. Arrrrrrrg.
    Guess that is what you get for a 30 dollar machine.