• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

choice of transciever

skip searcher

Nov 17, 2006
IRELAND
hello my fellow radio enthusiasts i have just registered and seem to be the only irish operator on this site . i currently run a ranger rci 2950 dx in my big truck at home in ireland i plan to become liscenced starting of with the entry level liscence technician class as the 11 metre ban seems to be very quite at the present time from stateside i would like anybodys views on these 2 transcievers alinco dx 70 th on aes website stores in milwauke and cleveland $750.00 2 transciever icom 706 mkII G $1000.00 at same retailer now your all probhably thinkinng no comparision except the $250.00 difference but for my requirments i would be swayed to the alinco i know lots of operators in the states and at home in ireland that swear by the 706 great transciever a buddy of mine has just purchased an alinco 4v his mobile he also has a kenwood 870 on the base but has good reports with the alinco on 10 metres any views would be greatfull and helpfull from my point of view also searching for friends from the usa any operators on 11 metres 27.475 lsb my call is WJ 450 29 DIVISION best 73s out there to u all and the family happy thanks giving

As you probably know, the Alinco covers HF & 6 meters.
The Icom 706 MKIIG does HF, 6m, 2m and 70cm.
More band coverage but more money.
Do you need the additional coverage?

You might check this site out
IC706 vs DX70

I don't know much about the Alinco line of radios but, I do run the ICOM 706MKIIG and wouldn't trade it for the world. If looking for a radio I would try Ebay. Also try these websites. There is always a number of 706's on them.... QTH.com, QRZ.com and Eham.com. Good luck, Scott

AudioShockwav said:
You might also consider a Yaesu FT-857, it is a lot of radio in a small package.

Jeff

AND cheaper than the 706, aslo has a couple creature features the 706 does not have

I've got both the Alinco DX70TH and the Yaesu FT-857D. I used to have an ICOM 706 up until about 4 years ago.(original , not MKIIG).
The IC-706 was a darn nice radio. Just got bored with it..as I do with most radios eventually.
I like both the Alinco and Yaesu, but for different reasons.
The Yaesu has a lot more features (besides the extra bands), and a ton of settings you can tweak via its extensive menu system. (very easy to stuff it up as well, allways make a note of the factory setting b4 you change it).
The Alinco on the other hand is a lot simpler.
Both make nice mobile sets with their remotable heads, (Alinco uses a EDS-6 remote kit, which is near impossible to produce at home, FT-857 remote kit is easy to make yourself).
Both get good reports and both sound good on receive. I think the Yaesu has a better squelch circuit, the Alinco does open squelch very quickly so some noise spikes get through.
But I think the Alinco is my choice for a Mobile, because it is much simpler. Unless of course you want all bands in one box.
So thats what I have done, FT-857D for home, mobile is DX70TH and Alinco DR610 for 2M / 70CM.
Just my 2 Australian cents worth...

If he has got the money he could also think about the Kenwood 480sat or 200 watt HX version I love my 480 sat.
I also bought a Icom 7000 :D no major problems yet just a learning curve. I use it now as a backup base. Both radios have a lot less intermod than my 706mkIIg radio got tired of the spikes opening up the squelch when I trucked thurogh Major cities. Just a thought.

KI4MSJ said:
I don't know much about the Alinco line of radios but, I do run the ICOM 706MKIIG and wouldn't trade it for the world. If looking for a radio I would try Ebay. Also try these websites. There is always a number of 706's on them.... QTH.com, QRZ.com and Eham.com. Good luck, Scott
thanks for the advice scott i would be a little wary of purchasing a transciever of ebay universal radio and aes seem to have a good selection of equipment 73 s

radios

todt061458 said:
If he has got the money he could also think about the Kenwood 480sat or 200 watt HX version I love my 480 sat.
I also bought a Icom 7000 :D no major problems yet just a learning curve. I use it now as a backup base. Both radios have a lot less intermod than my 706mkIIg radio got tired of the spikes opening up the squelch when I trucked thurogh Major cities. Just a thought.
thanks for the advice but the alinco seems to be a basic transciever to start with not as complicated as some of the over transcievers also considering a kenwood ts 50 s best 73 s

I do not have that Alinco but do use other Alinco radios..
I know Alinco makes good radios..

However for sure i would say the Icom 706 MKIIG
mine has worked great for last 3 yrs

have spoken all over the world with it
i do not use it as often as i used to

now i perfer the Icom IC-7000

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned