• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Choosing an Export CB

leeteam

Jun 19, 2011
The last time I had a CB was in 1962. Things have changed tremendously. I am looking to get back into the CB world. Can anyone recommend an Export CB for purchase? I was considering the Magnum 257HP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

That is a fine choice - IMO . . .

Depends if you are setting up a base or a mobile operation. It should work fine for a base. If you have an older car with a noisy electrical system, you might have a problem with noise. Hook it directly to the battery and use a frame mounted/grounded antenna. Oh yeah; and don't run the output higher than 2/3 of its peak rated output.

Review:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/export-radios/56228-magnum-257-hp-review.html

I think the RCI-2950DX an RCI-2970DX are noisier - IMO. That has been my experience. Put a 12v fan on the heat sink of the 257 - attached with drywall inserts.. That will git 'er done . . .

Aren't most or all Export CB's illegal, because they do not meet FCC requirements, such as exceeding the 4 watt maximum output, 40 channels only,etc?

So wouldn't the "radio police" (FCC), eventually be investigating every owner of an Export CB?

Does anyone know of someone who has been caught, and warned or fined for using and Export CB?

oh yes oh yes, for one DMV checks radios at weight stations, so do local law enforcement.
if thats not enough, there are millions of amateur radio operators, the volunteer police force of radio, they are out there and they just love to track your signal down.
if thats not enough to scare you, the FCC has a secret network of satellite and earth based monitoring stations that automatically pinpoint your location if they pick up as much as an echo or roger beep, and amateur radio operators will be dispatched to verify and collect evidence against your station.

oh yes oh yes, for one DMV checks radios at weight stations, so do local law enforcement.
if thats not enough, there are millions of amateur radio operators, the volunteer police force of radio, they are out there and they just love to track your signal down.
if thats not enough to scare you, the FCC has a secret network of satellite and earth based monitoring stations that automatically pinpoint your location if they pick up as much as an echo or roger beep, and amateur radio operators will be dispatched to verify and collect evidence against your station.

total BS

Jeff

I heard tell of a guy getting 30 days in the electric chair for talking past 155 miles.

keep in mind that is a 80 watt radio and if you want to add a amp in the future youll need a big one . its too much for a 2 or 4 pill . would be a nice driver for a sweet 16 though . (y) but a 4 pill will probably make %99 of the contacts a 8 pill will make .

Two questions... (remember, if these questions sound dumb, I am a newbie)

The RCI-2950DX has a Variable Power Output from 2 watts to 25 watts. Is it still illegal to operate within the maximum legal output of 4 watts for CB frequencies?

When getting an Export CB, other than costs, why not get the radio with the highest power output?

Thanks

Two questions... (remember, if these questions sound dumb, I am a newbie)

The RCI-2950DX has a Variable Power Output from 2 watts to 25 watts. Is it still illegal to operate within the maximum legal output of 4 watts for CB frequencies?
The FCC regulations state that is so. But they don't really enforce these regulations, unless a 3d party is getting interference caused by your radio. If a neighbor complains because you come over their radio, TV, computer speakers, or baby monitor; that is enough for them to complain to the FCC. Then the FCC will act.

The real trick is to have and use a radio in such a way that it doesn't throw off 'interfering signals'. There are many ways of doing this. Put your antenna 50 ft up - if you can, don't run a linear amp in a neighborhood, and keep your transmitted modulation at/slightly below 100%.

You can possible run 50 or 100 watts output and even more. But, is it interfering with anyone, anywhere, at any time?

When getting an Export CB, other than costs, why not get the radio with the highest power output?

Thanks
Because all radios are not engineered equally. Some are better on single side band mode than AM mode. Or the other way around. Or the receive of one radio is far superior than another. Cost. Or is it a lemon? Lotsa thing are far more important than just the power output. Power output is way down on the list of importance; receive is more important. Quality of build is another. They all have reputations - both positive and negative.

most of these exports are pretty good, that they are all poor quality, sound like crap or spit harmonics all over is as much of a myth as the myths I just sarcastically said before. Radios such as the Magnum are actually more geared towards ham operators than CB, but i have come to figure Magnum didnt pay their dues like Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom since Magnum is on the s***list. It is true alot of "10 meter amateur transceivers" are just CB radios in disguise, with 6 or 8 bands of 40 channels that have 10khz tuning with .005 khz offset, AM/FM only and no freq display, but some have repeater offset, 1khz tuning, pll tones,etc, the Magnum is one of them. I personally like the Galaxy, with the look of an old school CB, they just look sexy.

This subject has been beat to death here on the forum.
A Legal Cb must be type accepted
You can own a ten meter Radio
If you have a Amateur License, you can use them to talk on what ever frequency's your class of License allows.
Robb is 100% correct, there are 1000`s of Export radio being used on CB Bands today, and unless you are making a very big problem that attracts the attention of the FCC most will never hear from the FCC.
There are guys running thousands of watts every day on the bands and if it was such a big concern they would be all over them like stink on shit.
Stay off of the Ham bands if you do not have a Lic, real simple.

Enjoy playing radio.

Jeff

( the opinions expressed in this post are my own and in no way reflect on the management of this forum, how ever I do own a Jack Lalanne Power juicer, and I stayed at a holiday in express last night )

if a export has a channel nine button or a two digit channel display or banks of 40 channels its not really a ham radio IMO , its just a illegal CB . very few exports are SSB capable and only a few of them are consistently stable on SSB from what i understand .

if cb is your main objective id get an old school uniden/cobra cb radio and add channels for free banding if you're into that . put a 2 pill ab biased amp behind it if you want high power .

LMA:laugh:R:LOL:TF!!! Well I have to thank you for this outstanding secret info I was having a bad day and was hoping tomorrow would be better for my Birthday and you just made that happen so I thank you from the bottom of my heart. My wife also enjoyed this info and she may never use 11 meters again and may stick to 10 or 2 meters as usual due to the secret things the Federal Communication Comission is sudenly doing.

Its times like these that make me a proud member of this forum because we get the inside scoop you know the things we are not supposed to know so Ill just keep that under my hat ;)

Anyone else have any more secret info on this Im now entrigued and hungry for more info this will help me in the long run in many ways so if anyone has any of this please share!!! :pop:

The last time I had a CB was in 1962. Things have changed tremendously. I am looking to get back into the CB world. Can anyone recommend an Export CB for purchase? I was considering the Magnum 257HP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Magnum 257HP is a great radio I own two and couldn't be happier.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.