• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Clarifier Question

Come on guys....stop pussey footing around with it already. You guys have already said it ya dont have to kiss Big Bobs a$$. A 2950 DON"T NEED IT UN-LOCKED. Whatever bunch a chicken shit$. Never mind I will just step back and be the bigger radio man.

That's why I stay nuetral on the whole clarifier debate. Nuff said. I'm out. What a bunch of crap. 30 years of SSB WTF ever.

Come on guys....stop pussey footing around with it already. You guys have already said it ya dont have to kiss Big Bobs a$$. A 2950 DON"T NEED IT UN-LOCKED. Whatever bunch a chicken shit$. Never mind I will just step back and be the bigger radio man.

That's why I stay nuetral on the whole clarifier debate
. Nuff said. I'm out. What a bunch of crap. 30 years of SSB WTF ever.

You don't sound too neutral to me.
Apparently you have a problem differentiating between NEED and WANT. Nobody NEEDS more than legal power so why use an amp? Nobody NEEDS extra channels so why buy an export radio? Nobody NEEDS a lot of things they have but they have them because they WANT to enhance their abilities. Same as for unlocking the clarifier on a 2950.

Oh, and as for being the bigger man, sorry you lose. The rest of us can conduct the discussion without berating some one or resorting to name calling. THAT is the sign of a bigger man.

I always hate these threads. Someone always gets their panties in a knot when they can't comprehend WHY someone unlocks a clarifier on a radio that they cannot see the NEED for. Never mind the fact that it is THEIR radio and that THEY want to enhance THEIR operating abilities.

LOL, but on a serious note, I, being a noob, am learning quite a bit here about clarifier's, which I will soon need to make a decision on when my 2985dx gets here. ;)

LOL, but on a serious note, I, being a noob, am learning quite a bit here about clarifier's, which I will soon need to make a decision on when my 2985dx gets here. ;)

Basically it's like this. There is no NEED to do it however only YOU can decide if you WANT to do. There are advantages that make operating a little easier and doing it in no way hurts the radio if it is done by a competent person. IMHO not doing something simply because there is no need to is akin to putting a 1.6 liter engine in a Corvette. It will get you where you want to go and look nice in the process but it just isn't making full use of the potential. :D

I prefer unlocked. I can discreetly tune someone in especially if they've bought one here in the southeast and has never been professionally tuned and aligned. Folks down here prefer their fav hometown radio guru especially the senior citizens. As for DX'ing,not everyone is tuned to right frequency. Just tune them in,make your contact,next please! I get up with My brother who lives a few miles from me and we test our radios against each other to see if some radio we've bought is acting right.
P.S. there's a Canadian lady on 38 LSB that I hear every once in a while during skip conditions that always sounds high pitched(not on my freq),but she doesn't change her freq at all. I think because of their senior status she has her contacts(fish)tune to her.

I prefer unlocked. I can discreetly tune someone in especially if they've bought one here in the southeast and has never been professionally tuned and aligned. Folks down here prefer their fav hometown radio guru especially the senior citizens. As for DX'ing,not everyone is tuned to right frequency. Just tune them in,make your contact,next please! I get up with My brother who lives a few miles from me and we test our radios against each other to see if some radio we've bought is acting right.
P.S. there's a Canadian lady on 38 LSB that I hear every once in a while during skip conditions that always sounds high pitched(not on my freq),but she doesn't change her freq at all. I think because of their senior status she has her contacts(fish)tune to her.

if her clarifier is locked and her radio is not on freq she would never know, she just uses her clarifier that would be receive only and tunes in to every one and her radio would be actually transmitting a little off freq.. this is why a unlocked clarifier is nice,, who cares if the knob sits at 12:00 or on center you just tune to here everyone sounds good and you know your going to transmit on the same freq as what you are hearing.

I have heard, but don't yet quite understand it, that the Eu people like to run on a zero on side band. I think so far, that is the only good reason I have heard for unlocking it. Although I do understand setting your radio to right on, I am just not a knob twiddler by nature, so it means less to me. ;)

No reason to unlock clarifier in 3900EFT.
Put Fine knob on 12'o clock, use coarse to tune in. Than you can use Fine to adjust only your RX freq. But first of it all you should check how radio is aligned, all of them are off frequency just from the factory.
Mike

If the radio has a daul clarifier, I pull out the dual pot and mod the clarifier to use with a single pot. One knob to tune is plenty, dual knobs is just plain nutz!

~Cheers~

If the radio has a daul clarifier, I pull out the dual pot and mod the clarifier to use with a single pot. One knob to tune is plenty, dual knobs is just plain nutz!

~Cheers~

Total opposite on that point here. Put a coarse/fine knobs if the radio has a lot of slide if it doesn't have one. +/-10kc's for the coarse and +/-1kc's for the fine. Having too much slide on just one control knob is a sure way that it will be too easy to lose any fine adjustment. Not to mention, that these radio's pots aren't linear pots; they are audio taper pots. IOW - waaaay too easy to lose any possibility of fine adjustments if sliding over a half channel where the pot has no real adjustment/linearity left any more (eg: at 5kc's of slide or more).

I let the coarse slide 5kc's in either direction and let the >1kc fine slide clean it up to get spot-on freq.
Quite a bit more linear that way.

dual_pot-clarifier.gif

These could be two separate controls - Fine and Coarse - but one dual potentiometer would be best. The 2K resistor can be larger or smaller depending on the range you prefer from your fine control. Decrease the value to increase the fine range and increase the value to decrease the fine range.
CB World Informer December 1996 Issue, Midland 79-290 Review.

No one has mentioned 5-turn pots yet; but it is coming up soon - I'm sure . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.