• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cleaning chassis

datsun66

Apr 10, 2005
Lewistown, Montana
I received my radio and it came from a smoker's house.

It does not stink bad but the chassis looks like it could use a good cleaning. Is there somthing I could spray in the chassis to clean it up with out runing anything in the radio?

Bob.

</p>

Try some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. Test in a small area first. That should cut thru the tar.

Wayne C.

CDX-787<BR

HR2510 ot HR2600

Magna Force 900

D104M6B

MR. COILY Single Coil

Every man is a damn fool for at least 5 minutes every day; wisdom consists
in not exceeding the limit.

educate-01sig.gif
</p>

Unless you work CW, none at all. Maybe for resale value later on but still very little. What those filters do is narrow the pass band of your receiver. On SSB the voice pass band is typically 2.7 Khz. Some may get a narrower pass band say 2.4 or even 2.1 Khz. That will reduce the quality of what you hear, but if there is some one real close to your frequency it will make it so you can talk to the other guy.

CW filters are even narrower than that. I bought a 400 Hz filter just to fill up all the slots in my radio. If I tune some one in when it is real noisy, I can switch to that filter and everything drops out but him. His S level drops a lot too. I don’t use CW but just had to have all the options for my radio.

There is an old cold war story about a spy using CW a Khz or 2 away from the carrier frequency on Voice of USSR or what ever the propaganda AM broadcast station was back then. He was using 100 watts on CW, the AM broadcast was using several KW and by using the mechanical filters on a Collins receiver, they were able to copy his messages and was not detected by the local authorities. Not sure if that is true or not, but that’s the rumor around the dark com world.

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.