• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Climbing anyone?

It has been posted here several times over the years.
I used to do Maintenance work on multi stage evaporator`s in the food processing industry, 100' was the limit for me.
By the time I left there, we could not work more than Ten feet off the ground with out a full harness.
I can remember setting some 30,000 gallon tanks in the early days when we used to ride the ball on the hook up....... I better not finish that story.

Jeff

What we used to do as a normal part of the job is forbidden in this day and age.
Now if the bottom of your feet go higher than 6' above the floor, you are supposed to be tied off to a "structural element".
How in the hell can you work of of any ladder taller than 3'?

This is how we used to keep the gene pool pure and the population at an acceptable level.

The idiots and klutz's used to die young. :whistle:

We have to endeavor to idiot proof the world now

It was too funny when we bought the first "lock out tag out kit" for the plant.

Salesman:
And these go over the cords ends on your portable 220/480 volt pumps so you can lock the plug to prevent anyone from plugging the pump in while you are working on it....

Jeff

region4-news-banner.jpg

Region 4 News Release: USDOL: 99-217
Monday, December 06, 1999
PHONE: (770) 493-6644

OSHA FINES DUBLIN, GA., COMPANY FOLLOWING WORKER FALL FROM ROCKDALE COUNTY COMMUNICATION TOWER

The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration today cited C.S.S.I., a Dublin, Ga., company, for safety and health violations found at a Rockdale County worksite where one employee died as the result of a fall. The citations carry penalties totaling $18,400.
According to Raymond Finney, OSHA's Atlanta-East Area Director, a C.S.S.I. worker fell to his death from the top of a 600 foot 911 tower near Covington, Ga., which he had free-climbed to troubleshoot its strobe lights.
"Building and maintaining communication towers, the work which C.S.S.I. performs, is a high growth industry," said Finney. According to the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics, 93 fatalities associated with this type of activity were reported from 1992 to 1997.
OSHA's safety inspection in response to the fatal accident revealed three serious violations. Among the hazards cited were:

• a cage or ladder safety device was not used when employees climbed over 20 feet on the tower;
  • employees did not use a safety harness and tie off with a lanyard when free-climbing the tower, and
  • employees used tools that were not insulated or designed for live electrical work.
"We encourage companies to create an effective safety and health program," said Finney. "If these companies can find and fix hazards prior to an OSHA inspection, they can save expensive penalties and, more importantly, they can save lives."
Finney added, "Taking proactive measures on safety and health issues can prevent this type of accident, reduce workers' compensation costs, improve employee morale, and ultimately increase company profits."
OSHA urges employers and employees with questions regarding workplace safety and health standards to contact the Tucker area office. OSHA's toll-free, nationwide hotline --1-800-321-OSHA (1-800-321-6742)-- may be used to report workplace accidents or fatalities or situations posing imminent danger to workers, especially if they occur outside of normal business hours.
A serious violation is defined by OSHA as one in which there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result, and the employer knew, or should have known, of the hazard.
The company has 15 working days from receipt of the citations and proposed penalties to elect to comply with them, to request and participate in an informal conference with the OSHA area director, or to contest them before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
OSHA is empowered by the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 to issue standards and rules requiring employers to provide their employees with safe and healthful workplaces and jobsites and to assure through workplace inspections that those standards are followed.
Inspections of the Rockdale County worksite were conducted by OSHA's area office located at LaVista Perimeter Office Park, Building 7, Suite 110, Tucker, GA 30084; telephone: (770)493-6644.

Clearly as far back as 1997 free climbing was not permitted by OSHA. You may only free climb, ie not bother to hook/unhook a lifeline, when there is another means of fall protection such as a safety net or inertial activated fall restraint system. You are never permitted to climb without a safety device of some sort in use.

CKW, your post raises questions in my mind that the report does not address.

1. Was the worker working alone?
2. If so, how in the hell do you make sure he is following proper procedures?

Anytime I send one of my Engineering staff out into the plant to perform any task that requires a harness, I have to either go and supervise the job myself or designate another Engineer as the Safety coordinator on that particular job.

It looks to me that field work would (as always) be hard to police if you have a lone worker climbing.

(Maybe companies no longer allow solo climbing, I have no idea)

That is Insane !!

I thought my having worked atop of the Chrysler building was nuts decades ago (looking straight down the side..suspended off the edge of the building )

CKW, your post raises questions in my mind that the report does not address.

1. Was the worker working alone?
2. If so, how in the hell do you make sure he is following proper procedures?

Anytime I send one of my Engineering staff out into the plant to perform any task that requires a harness, I have to either go and supervise the job myself or designate another Engineer as the Safety coordinator on that particular job.

It looks to me that field work would (as always) be hard to police if you have a lone worker climbing.

(Maybe companies no longer allow solo climbing, I have no idea)

No idea about your questions but they are irrelevant to the law.I understand the desire to ensure that you are legally in the clear as a supervisor etc. however. It is pretty hard to control the actions of a single unsupervised worker. Things have really changed in the last several years. Even at work we are required to have a life line attached if we are working more than 10 feet in the air even if in a man-lift and that is the law and not just company policy.

I know within the past 20 years that OSHA granted variances or otherwise allow free climbing on certain obstacles on towers.

The Front line documentary I watched last week even discussed this issue. A climber/contracter videotaped his climb with narration, when he encountered an obstacle near the antenna himself, he stated that this was the only area of the climb OSHA would allow a free climb.

It was an eye opening documentary, which basically attributes the unsafe practices being committed by subcontractors being poorly trained and ill equiped. It should still be available for watching on PBS website.

Back in early 80's I climbed many towers in the USAF, some over 800'. We had belts only, no harness. We free climbed all the way and only hooked up to rest and when at point of maintenance. Stupid then, stupid now. Your invincible in your early 20's.

With the boom in tower installs across the states, OSHA has relaxed rules a bit. The subcontractors are actually trying to get them strengthened. They receive such low pay that they can't afford to properly train and equip their workers.

Now, I get all sweaty climbing anything below 60'

Now, I get all sweaty climbing anything below 60'

Me too but weight has a lot to do with it. :cry: Speaking of that I may actually get up the new tower tomorrow or Monday and get some 2m antennas installed. A vertical 11 element Cushcraft for 2m FM and a pair of horizontal 13B2's for 2m SSB. :w00t: I will be working at 61 feet but the antennas will be at the 74 and 77 foot levels after the mast is jacked up to it's final position.

Truely amazing isn't it? From what the companies charge you would think the actual climbers got a lot more. I used to have to hire riggers back when I was in broadcasting and the prices were crazy just for re-lamping a 200 foot tower.

In the movie Contact,what was Ellie's callsign?

Check back later for answer........................73,Stu

Answer:B w9gfo

It's disgusting what some of these guys get paid. Uncle Sam didn't pay me much either, but I knew that at the time. At least I traveled the globe and burned thru more than 10 or 12 passports. Had I entered the tower maintenance field after discharge, I would've told them to kiss my ass at those wages. That is hard work doing that stuff. Pathetic.

Hopefully, that documentry will help change the environment, but not if Romney is elected, that's for sure.

Edit: stupid Tapatalk made me quote wrong post, sorry.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.